Just needs some opinions..kids diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishkiller

Contributor
Reaction score
Mesa Arizona, The all beach no ocean state.
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a son who is almost 9, which is to young to bo a real diver. I have heard of the PADI Seal team for kids 8+, that scuba in a pool with an instructor. He has done the bubble makers and thought it fun. I just thought I would get some input from the board and some opinions.

The PADI system is structured to send children through SASY/Bubblemakers then onto the Sealteam (www.padisealteam.com) and then onto actual certification at age 10. Talk to you local store about getting into a class. Although I don't believe that all children should get certified, I believe that if they have been brought up on scuba in this system that they can become excellent divers at a young age.

Hi Fishkiller,
I do not have any kids yet but I have the following considerations regarding kids diving: As we all know NOT ALL the aspects of diving effect on human organism are known. At least we know that there are still some possibility of unknown transformations in our bodies as a cause of diving therefore You should take in to account the fact that a 9 or so years old kid is quite far from the state when the one can say that the child is phisically completelly developed and therefore it is possible that diving could somehow affect childs development not only in phisical sence but also thinking about the effects on human brains.
My other argument against kids diving is that children are in the higher risk group since their attitude towards diving is not so serious as adults, children possibly could not evaluate all the risks involved as well to react to extreme situations properly.

Let him better be snorkeling.
Normunds

At the age of nine, he might start growing gills and at the age of 12 have a proper working set. Imagine the possibilities, world's deepest dive on a single breathe.

But seriously, I think that with proper coaching and strict vigilance, kids would make better divers that those adults who think that know everything and would most likely try something different to screw their safety up. I suggest that you allow your kid to dive but keep strict restrictions in place, ie. A strict depth of say under ten meters and only for half and hour or less.

Start with SCUBA instruction at age 14. Meanwhile, give the kid a snorkel, that is an old style "J" model without any kind of valves. Give or have him earn a simple mask and shoe type fins that FIT. Tell him to practice swimming underwater, diving to the bottom of the pool, ear popping, snorkel clearing and mask clearing. Show him. If you turn him loose in creeks or other small bodies of water, buy a USD CO2 inflatable vest(yoke style). Tell him not to inhale CO2 from the vest if used.

We've had the NAUI/SSI Scuba Rangers program in place for about 8 months now. I can't say enough about this program. The kids are having a great time, learning to have fun with confidence and competence using Scuba equipment. Graduates of the Scuba Rangers program blow through the Open Water program with ease later.
Highly recommended.
Rick

I agree with some of the other posts that kids should be very carefully considered for their maturity and ability before being allowed to don scuba equipment. Another consideration is the kids buddy; what if they got into difficulty, would this child be strong enough or capable of helping in this situation ? I will not be letting my daughter dive until I know that she can save me should the need arise.

I allow my two sons to don equipment and play around , but only if I am with them, and no deeper than ten ft...mostly in swimming pools...I am an instructor, and if they get comfortable early, it gives them an early start...BTW...they are 8 and 10.

First thanks for the comments they are appreciated

So while at my favorite lake fishing with my son, Alex mentioned in a unexpected manner," Dad did you know that in two years you'll be able to scuba dive this lake with me, so we can find where the fish are at"

I almost fell off my rock.

Last Saturday at the Bubble Makers the instructor mentioned to him that he had to be 10 before he could be a certified diver and dive in the ocean or lakes.
After getting home I made several phone calls and on Saturday he will start the PADI Seal Team (the SSI Shop that does Scuba Rangers in my area is way too far away).
Alexander is aware that he can only wear all the scuba equiptment in a swimming pool with the instructor until he is 10.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom