Atmos II not turning off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TimK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have an atmos II that has less than 50 dives on it and have changed the battery once. Since I normally do two dives then it's at least a week before I dive again I have been turning it off after downloading the dives by going to Set 2 and putting in the code 01 01. The last two times I have done this the computer turns itself back on and displays H2O, the time and a flashing low battery symbol. The flashing battery symbol eventually goes away and I get a full battery symbol.

Anyone know what is causing this and why I can't turn it off?

The low battery indication is just an artifact of the computer restarting. There are many threads about it. It can be more pronounced if you did not use the same brand as the factory. If it really were low it would not go to a dive ready screen.

If you just leave it alone it should go to sleep when you are clear to fly and no other action is required.

Pete

I agree you don't need to turn it off. After 24 hours it will clear and turn itself off.

I read through the manual shortly after posting this and it mentioned that if the contacts were still wet it would continue to turn itself back on every two hours even if I left it alone. I knew the contacts were dry since I left it overnight but decided a better cleaning was in order. I took it into the bathroom and scrubbed the contacts with a toothbrush and then dried them completely and presto, turned off with no problem. I am aware of the low battery indication when first starting the computer before a dive and ignore that and it clears after a few minutes. This was the first time I encountered the computer "restarting' itself after doing a clear and shut-down. Guess if the contacts aren't cleaned good enough and there remains some salt residue it can cause this problem.

I read through the manual shortly after posting this and it mentioned that if the contacts were still wet it would continue to turn itself back on every two hours even if I left it alone. I knew the contacts were dry since I left it overnight but decided a better cleaning was in order. I took it into the bathroom and scrubbed the contacts with a toothbrush and then dried them completely and presto, turned off with no problem. I am aware of the low battery indication when first starting the computer before a dive and ignore that and it clears after a few minutes. This was the first time I encountered the computer "restarting' itself after doing a clear and shut-down. Guess if the contacts aren't cleaned good enough and there remains some salt residue it can cause this problem.

Mmmm I though the water activation was between the data port and that little pin embedded in the right side button. I didn't know it could activate within the data port.

I have had to re-rinse and dry the data port to get the download interface to behave.

Pete

Mmmm I though the water activation was between the data port and that little pin embedded in the right side button. I didn't know it could activate within the data port.

I have had to re-rinse and dry the data port to get the download interface to behave.

Pete

I typically rinse the computer along with my other gear as soon as I get home. This time, it was so late after doing the night dive that I waited till morning. I brought the computer in and put it on my desk without rinsing it. The download worked OK the next morning but then the restarting issue. It wasn't until I thoroughly cleaned it that it would turn off. It was totally dry so I'm pretty sure it had to be the download port contacts that were the issue. I scrubbed and dried them and no problem turning it off.

Apparently so...

Remember that salt is a desiccant and as such will attract and collect moisture and may create a conductive path. That's why your towel will never quite seems dry again after using it after an ocean dive.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom