Recommendations for LCD Photo Frame?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Looking for a top-quality LCD photo frame, and was wondering if anyone had any specific recommendations. Mostly want to make sure that I get one that's bright enough with good resolution

The 10" Digital Spectrum MemoryVue MF-8104 Premium looks pretty good.

470608.jpg

Anyone one have any thoughts or insights on this or other ones?

Few things to watch for:

* All frames we've tried looked washed out when in direct sunlight (like from a window). Those of us who are PC literate know this. Others may not. If you are giving them out as gifts, etc, be sure that they know to keep them out of direct sunlight (unlike my parents :shakehead:)

* Select one (if possible) with an internal HD/memory that holds the images. Most just read the images from the inserted memory card and display them. The problem is that after a few months, the memory card starts to lose bits of the image (as they require a WRITE to refresh the cells) and the images start to display black pixels. We gave a few to family who are 'non-computer' literate and the frame is on 24x7 for months at a time. To avoid this problem we occasionally send out new, refreshed, cards by mail.

* Most we've seen allow music and slide show effects. The effects are nice, the audio is annoying after awhile.

* Check the manufacturing of the case to be sure the slots for the memory cards won't allow someone to wedge the card between the frame housing and the memory slot. Both my wife and family members have managed to slide the cards 'beside' the slot and have the card drop into the frame. :11: Not something you can correct 'long distance' as you need to pull the frame apart.

* They all require an A/C power outlet so the ability to hang them on walls is tempered by the sight of the power cable.

* Lastly, some people (older, sorry but thats what we've found) just do not like these frames as they as 'scared of anything tec'. I know of two we gave out which are never displayed or always 'off'. Fortunately not everyone has that fear.

How about Westinghouse DPF-1021? Westinghouse 10.2" Digital Photo Frame with MosaicViewTM Technology. With sleek Ebony Wood Frame and built-in 128MB Memory, It has the most versatile input capabilities. I just got it for my friend as a present for $230 at
Westinghouse DPF-1021 - In Stock at OneCall.com
She likes it very much, I thought it's a great choice, but I found the same for only $181 at
dealstudio.com :: View Deals - :: Deals, Coupons, Rebates, Freebies, Discounts, Bargains
You can look up

out of curiousity, if you run these things 24/7, will they suffer from burn-in from having the same non moving picture on it all the time?

out of curiousity, if you run these things 24/7, will they suffer from burn-in from having the same non moving picture on it all the time?

They don't have the same picture, they rotate through many.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom