Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sue

Reaction score
I've just finished my Advanced Nitrox training and am curious about how many of you are into EAN?
If so, do you regularly dive with or the choice between air and Nitrox depends on your diving plan?

Sue

hi
im a uk tech instuctor and therefor use gas on most occasions,the basic rule of thumb is dont use it for shallow paddling as you will be wasting your hard earned dollars.
but anything over 20m it comes into play extended ndls etc.
take some time to practice shallow'ish before you venture deeper be comfy with everything before going deep.
any future problems hail me !!!

I'll be diving Nitrox this weekend - not so much for its increased bottom time or shorter surface intervals as to give me a little extra margin.. Between Friday and Sunday AM, I'll be on and off four different boats, with trips of 12, 4, 6, and 4 hours (scheduled - they're always a bit longer)- the dives will be a mixed bag of Nitrox, Wreck, OW, Deep and Night dives - all working dives for me, so I need all the help I can get.
Rick

Rick,

Be sure to post a report (with photos if possible) about your dives when you get back!

--Michael

I use nitrox for dives below 60 feet and above 130 feet. If used shallower there's not much results for the extra cost (as stated above). Used deeper and your mix has to be pretty weak in order to avoid a ppo above 1.4.

Seems that not so many divers actually use Nitrox. In here, its the same...

Usually I dive with nitrox when I make repetitive dives (3 or 4 a day) with mixes from 28 to 38 O2, depending on diving plan. Or I use a richer O2 mix - 60%/70% for decompression, even diving with air.

Rick: yes please post a Tr of all those dives

Sue

I would like to use nitrox or all my dives and using air tables, so i would have a certain marging ( securety ).
All my friend use nitrox gas.
Of course we never go over ppO2 = 1.4 atms
We do that even for schallow water
I am not nitrox certified, but i know what i have to know about it and sometimes i dive NITROX
The federation i am in (IDEA) allows you to take the nitrox course only if you are advanced VY STUPID
Too mee this is a money making thing
I agree you have to be able stabilize very well and use correctly you stab. to avoid going too deep and beeing suject to O2 toxicity

Fa

I dive nitrox on most my dives. As said before the shallow dives are not much benefit but most my dives are at least 50'. In the Keys some of the dives there were in 25' of water so no nitrox needed there. I would NEVER dive with nitrox without going thru the class and getting certified. Using air tables is true you will be safe on the time you are down but you have no idea what your O2 content is and could be very dangerous. I agree you should not have to get advanced before you can take the nitrox class but you have to.

My name is Iquana Don and I'm an EANx........oops, wrong meeting.

Seriously, I use Nitrox on every dive, this may be just my perception, but I don't feel ragged out after a long dive as I did while on straight air. I find that I feel better even after the shallow dives. Kinda like the football players taking an O2 hit on the sidelines.

As a working divemaster I find the benefits of using it during the in and out times of classes and between sessions.
You make 4 or 5 sometimes as many as 6 dives a day and it does have its benefits.

ID

when i told my intentions to use nitrox he did agree with me
I think it is safer diving with nitrox ( when knowing about it )than with compressed air and certainly in cold waters and when doing 2 to 3 dives a day
I went maybe 10 to 15 times through my federation nitrox class.
I also help my instructor to writhe a better nitrox course ( with his approval) for "indoor use" only, and in second intention to the original nitrox course.
'Gasses' is my working feeld, it was my job befor wath i am doing now.
You still maybe right i should get certified....

Fa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom