Giant squid and cachalots.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amanda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi to all,

I'm helping a friend who has to do some researches on giant squids and cachalots (all kinds of info would be welcome) and I thought that this may be a good place to ask. Does anyone know anything at all about those huge animals ?

Seen something on the TV you remember ? Took place in an expedition to the North Pole ? :D

Any info will help - T H A N K S !!

had something on giant squid about a year or more ago. i think the title was 'hunt for the giant squid' or something like that. there was a researcher that even went down to 2000' in a submersible. most are actually specimens found by the fishing boat - off new zealand if i am not mistaken.

oh, i don't know what catcalot is. sorry.

Thanks for the info, but since I don't live in the States... Do you by any chance remember what was the name of the researcher ?

Thx again !!

The last thing I recall hearing about giant squid was the one that washed up on the Australian Coast (I think). There were several articles in the papers about it as this was the largest (only?) one to ever wash up on a beach as they tend to stay in deep waters.

You might try doing a search on it.

Thanks a lot John !! You're a great help, DIR, Giant squids, cachalots.... tou're full of resources !!

See ya !

Amanda once bubbled...
Thanks a lot John !! You're a great help, DIR, Giant squids, cachalots.... tou're full of resources !!

See ya !

<Takin' a bow> Didn't I tell ya about us Tx men?? lol.

Did you find the DIR info useful? What do you think of the concept now?

If you need more links for the G.S. let me know, I found a ton, but those were three of the more interesting.

lanun once bubbled...
oh, i don't know what catcalot is. sorry.
Cachalot = sperm whale. Largest toothed whale and known for being an active predator of giant squid. Early estimates of giant squid size were made by looking at scars (from sucker damage) on the whales.

now i understand the connection in amanda's q's. familiar with the name sperm whale, but not cachalot (play on words for catch a lot ?).

sorry for not responding earlier, amanda - but i see CD has given you the info you need. dang, need to practice my drawl, then.

Mea Culpa ! I'm the one who's not familiar with the word "sperm whale", which is, after a little inquiry, the most common one.

Cheers and Thanx !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom