The swap between dry and wet suit.. how do you do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iamasmith

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Obviously if you are diving with a dry suit then you have a low pressure feed to add to the dry suit (I haven't taken that course yet so I'm not even familiar with the look of the kit :p)

Then you have a low pressure feed to the BCD of course.

What do you need to do if you want to swap quickly to using the same gear with a wet suit then?

It seems to me that the obvious thing is that you have to remove the low pressure feed from the stage 1 that normally goes to your dry suit and cap it off... however, most text books that I'm reading say to have a dealer do this kind of thing for you.

Is there another means of providing both low pressure feeds from the same tube? i.e. some sort of Y arrangement that you can replace when the second feed isn't in use? Is this practical and if not then it would be really interesting and informative to hear why.

Otherwise I guess it's down to capping off the feed normally used for the dry suit when going to a wet suit.

Anyone know a great way of dealing with this?

-Andy

Stuff the extra hose in the back of your BC and put up with everyone asking what that extra hose is for.

I put a rubber band around my tank to tuck my drysuit hose under and keep it out of the way when not in use. The ones that come on those waterproof disposable cameras work great!
Ber :lilbunny:

A low pressure inflator hose has a schrader valve in the end that shuts it off if it is not hooked up to a nipple, therefore it is entirely possible to use a regulator that has two LPI hoses with one, both or neither hooked up and the other hanging loose or tucked out of the way.

I take mine off and put a cap screw in.

It seems to me that the obvious thing is that you have to remove the low pressure feed from the stage 1 that normally goes to your dry suit and cap it off... however, most text books that I'm reading say to have a dealer do this kind of thing for you.

When I got my drysuit I just quit diving wet, as simple as that :) But really, when I do dive wet (rarely) I take the hose off. If you are willing and trust that you can learn to do the swapping, have someone show you how to do it correctly. It is quite a simple thing. You do not need a dealer for that or if your dealer is one of those threatening types ("you'll lose your warranty", "you'll kill yourself"), don't tell them that you are doing it but put the hose back on every time you take the reg to the shop...

... however, most text books that I'm reading say to have a dealer do this kind of thing for you.
Get a "dive tool" (from an LDS that did not sell you that text book), take the hose off and put the plug in hand tight.

Then throw that text book away and have nothing whatsoever to do with any person, place or thing that sponsored that text.

My LDS showed me how to take off the LP hose and put the cap in. It's really very easy and shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes.

Get a "dive tool" (from an LDS that did not sell you that text book), take the hose off and put the plug in hand tight.

Then throw that text book away and have nothing whatsoever to do with any person, place or thing that sponsored that text.

i'm still new, but i consider myself to be pretty intuitive. the textbooks he referred reek of PADI speak.:rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom