Which Camera Next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slw105

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have just come back from Grand Cayman. I have a Sea & Sea DX 750 with a YS-15 Strobe. The camera does take nice clean pictures but I am finding that the camera is starting to hold me back. Everything is automatic and there are no custom modes.

I like the flexibility of deciding during the dive to take wide angle shows or macro shots.

I am looking for a camera that can be used in manual mode for focus, appature, speed, asa, etc.

I went to Cathy Churches shop and they recommended the SP-350. I am a little concerned this is a discontinued camera.

Any suggestions?

Stephen

Only two cameras that I know of currently share all of the features of the SP-350. Both are brand new, and both should be excellent choices. They are the Canon G-9 and the Sea & Sea DX1-G. As far as I know, they both have full manual controls, hotshoe for external strobe, RAW imaging, 10mp sensor, macro capability. The Sea & Sea has a wider angle lens, and 0 to infinity with the add on wide angle. The Canon is a name brand, top of the line P & S with all the features and will have more housing choices.

Yup, G9 if you're going new.

If you want something that will let you grow for less cash, try the Canon A series range - some to suit every budget.

Don't worry too much about cameras being discontinued - they have very short life spans in retail.

I still have systems I've been using for years and they work just fine :wink: I am just now selling my Oly 5050 systems and it's hard for me to let them go as I still think this is one of the best options in uw photo (but I might be biased :wink: ).

There are plenty of options that will give you room to grow and allow you to take great images - have a look through the Sticky here to get started.

Thanks for all the advice.

I am looking at the three cameras, DX-1, G-9 and the SP-350

How can I tell if they have TTL strobe capability and is this something I show get?

Stephen

I looked at the Oly option for a new york minute, and then the G9 and DX-1 got announced. I am opting for the G9 myself, with the Ikelite housing and DS 125 strobe. I figure this set-up will let me grow for a while. I like the large 3" viewscreen option. The ikelite set-up uses eTTL and is supposedly top notch. That being said, the Ikelite housing is due out later this month (but could get umped to early Nov). As long as I can get it in my grimy little hands before the Roatan trip in late Dec, I will be happy....

Back
Top Bottom