Thursday 11th October 2007 - Weighin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheTrickster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Howdy All!

Yes its that time again, time to say Hello to Mr. Scales...

Well I haven't 'weighed in' for a while and I haven't been a good boy recently, started a new job and well things haven't been going to plan!

Reasons why for me its been not good:
  • New job now starts half an hour earlier and finishes half an hour later
  • There is free biscuits/jaffa cakes right next to the coffee
  • Its darker in the mornings and evenings
I haven't been for a run for ages, I've been eating alot of rubbish - and I have a few extra pounds to prove it!

This weeks weight: 148.0lbs
Last weightin: 143.8lbs
Loss this week: --
Total Loss to date: 71.8lbs
Target: 140lbs

I've also noticed my semidry is a little tight! :11::11:

So time to get back 'in the game'....here hoping everyone else hasn't fallen off the wagon!

yikes i forgot what day it was!!

afraid to get on the scales after a week of chocolate factory tours and hot brekkies but 2 days of detoxing with lots of veggies and fruit

:multi: getting excited about getting back on track!

I'm down.

I now have 9.5 to go...can't remember the last time I checked in so can't remember how much of a loss that is!

Tonight will be bad coz of a nice bbq we're having, but mostly it's the beer that will get me :wink:

165 today, lost in fat, gain in muscle. Have to do another weight belt check again, probably gonna have to get rid of the backplate too.

I'd like to chime in.

I'm not participating in the "weighin", since the community affair is not exactly my thing, but recently I discovered something that is worth repeating. In particular to people that is trying hard to keep or get back in shape.

Going back to school at the same time I quit smoking was a disaster for my weight. I decided to take care of the situation once I graduated. I graduated and started working for the Navy. Have a great gym at work and even paid-time for using it.
Facing a completed lifestyle change, I went to the doctor to get things going the right way. My only complaint to the doctor was "I'm too fat and I feel old". I was fortunate to find a doctor that actually cared, the first visit was close to 45minutes of observing, talking and checking things out. I was then directed to get a complete blood test and some X-rays.
Looking back I only went to the doctor because I figured everything was going to be fine, before going to school I was very fit even with a cigarrete in my mouth every moment I was topside. Worked underwater for many years pulling long hard days without a problem. I decided to quit smoking and get what my mother refered to as a "real job" because I didn't think I would be able to keep up with the underwater work in my late 40's or 50's.

Anyway, it was a month between the first and second visit to the doctor. A month of going to the gym strong and carefully watching what I eat. I wasn't expecting miracles but for sure a couple of pounds, if nothing else, at least some looser clothes.
Oh well, I figured I'm older and have been sitting on my butt too long, I'll just have to work harder and eat even less.
I was wrong, not about getting older but about being healthy. Out of no where I turned out to have a thyroid issues. I thought only huge people that have to purchase 2 tickets on a plane deal with thyroid problems.

That's not all, once I got over the shock and started reading about it. It turns out there is a lot of controversy about the condition. A lot of people out there, mostly women, have under or over active thyroid but are not being treated. Doctors used to diagnose this by signs and symptoms but a few years ago they figure a way to detect some levels of hormone in the blood making now the diagnosis of the condition a blood test thing. But what they used to consider normal, is not quite normal. Newer studies made the normal range a lot narrower than what it used to be, and some doctors are not up to date. To make matters worse, the way the figure the proper amount of medication can also be extremelly funny (and I don't mean funny ha ha). Of course the good drug manufacturers are all over it mudding the waters.

All this rant to let you know that if your are working out and watching what you're eating without results, maybe there is something else. In my case, I had many symptoms that screamed underactive thyroid, but individually they could've been atributed to temporary trivial stuff, or just gettin up in age.
Take a moment to read about it and see if it can apply to you. Google "thyroid" and check out the typical signs and symptoms, if more than a couple apply, you may want to look farther.

I'm afraid to step on the scales so that will have to wait until next week. :blush:

I'll just have to show my rediscovered workout tool...
Gazelle.jpg

It's definitely getting a lot more use these days. :)

wheres the bell El???

and :clapping: for riding!! dont want to do that in Sydney - hitting bike riders is a national sport for us!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom