Have you ever pushed your limits without prior training

• Yes

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • NO

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The question is what limit? IMO, ones limits vary dive to dive, day to day and site to site. My cave card doesn't have a penetration limit on it nor does it specify a max number of stages. It is possible to push your limits while still remaining withing the technical limits of your training. Not all caves are created equal but my card doesn't seem to know that it just says "cave" on it. The same can be said for depth. What is deep in one place and time may not be deep in another.

I was largely self-taught...you don't improve your skills unless you cautiously push the envelope.

Duncan

I thinkI'llhave to agree with both Mike and Duncan. Training is great, and there is no substitute for it, however, unless you use your training in progressively more challenging dives, you never improve. So, in answer to your question, I "push" myslef every time I get in the water, that keeps the skills sharp, however, I am also fully trained for what I am doing and I use the proper techniqes and equipment.

If you've never pushed your limits you'd still be diving in a swimming pool. Anyway, how do you know what your limits are until you push them? If you push and it moves then it wasn't really a limit was it?

The Pirate

Of course.
Rick

Of course there are limits, i.e., your gas supply, depth vs ppO2, tolerable water temp vs length of exposure, size of cave you can fit into, etc.

The Pirate

Yes sir re bob. I do it all of the time. If I do not push myself, I do not improve. I just know how far I can push reasonably.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom