Agencies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chet

Reaction score
Ok, here is something that might be interesting. I will concede that the instructor makes the course for diving . Now , lets say all instructors are equal in this thread. Which diving agency has the right idea for training in Ontario or the Great Lakes?

IF... all instructors are equal. Then all agency's are equal for training in the Great Lakes. The PADI vs NAUI vs SSI vs GUE vs YMCA vs TDI vs ect ect ect. will never end!! They all teach "Scuba Diving" I have dove with people trained by every agency out there.

Some very good from all agency's, some very bad.
Instructors are the key, not the agency.

Case in point- right now the big discussion is GUE-DIR vs everyone else. I have dove with people trained GUE, some I would trust my life with, they are "great divers". BUT!! I dove with a couple of others "Trained" GUE and they scared the hell out of me. if I had been in trouble 2 feet from them they wouldn't have noticed, they were to busy screwing with gear. I don't even think they saw the wreck.

Becides, would you want a Instructor from any agency, who has only dove in, say the Key's coming up and training in the Great Lakes in 35 degree water at 60'???

Right On !!!

I have seen the same....as a matter of fact on your charter........

I agree if all are equal than it doesn't matter.

BTW DD hope you had a greatr holiday down south...........

Your right but right now in Toronto, you can get PADI training in a weekend for less than 200.00. I don't think that 8 hours in the pool makes you capable of diving properly.

On the other side of the coin, just cause some people get on a boat dressed in DIR gear doesn't mean that they have been trained properly either, you don't need a C-Card to buy gear in Ontario. I have seen divers on lots of boats claiming to be dive wizards and they are just that, Wizards.

Just to prove my point home. I saw a PADI instructor dressed in DIR gear knealing on the bottom and causing more silt while teaching students, than at least 2 out of 4students were. Her divemaster and the instructor both claimed to be DIR afterwards, but again I found out the hard way the only way is to do the training.

JB

Jimmy B once bubbled...
Your right but right now in Toronto, you can get PADI training in a weekend for less than 200.00. I don't think that 8 hours in the pool makes you capable of diving properly.

JB
Your Right! But it's a start, everyone starts somewere. It's up to each of us to get the training WE need.
I love Diving, and by in large it's a very safe sport. But as in any thing, some people are good, some bad, and some, like me just average.

Jimmy B once bubbled...

If I hear you right oyur saying that this organization will process a PADI OW c-card for someone that has not done any open water dives? If this is the case, this instructor needs to be report!

"On the other side of the coin, just cause some people get on a boat dressed in DIR gear doesn't mean that they have been trained properly either, you don't need a C-Card to buy gear in Ontario. I have seen divers on lots of boats claiming to be dive wizards and they are just that, Wizards."

By who's standard are you saying you don't need a C-card to purchase tanks, reg's and get air fills?

I find the above situations as you have described very troubling! If this business is really doing both of the above then need to be reported and scuba divers like ourselves should not shop or support them.

taz22 once bubbled...

By who's standard are you saying you don't need a C-card to purchase tanks, reg's and get air fills?

Money talks. You can by anything in a store without being certified. I think the being asked to show a c-card is the exception to the rule and not the norm.

need to be reported
Who would you suggest?

I realize that some charter boat operators are now asking to see c-cards but that is because the insurance companies are putting that onus on them.

Bubble Boy once bubbled...

Money talks. You can by anything in a store without being certified. I think the being asked to show a c-card is the exception to the rule and not the norm.

Who would you suggest?

I realize that in some cases money talks and in other cases it doesn't.

If a PADI instrcutor is doing not meeting the requiresments for an OW student ie; 4 open water dives, you simply report them to PADI.

I'm sure Dave Howlett at Scuba2000 who is a PADI Course Director wouls also like to know.

The fear I have is if we don't police our industry then the gov't is going to start doing it for us.

You need a C card to get an air fill not to buy equipment. I know, splitting hairs....

BTW, I have never been asked to show a C Card to get an airfill - probably because I've trained with all the shops that I get air from except one.... and I belong to thier dive club (and I had to show a C Card to join the club. :D )

And as well, a c card just shows that you have been trained, it doesn't show that you have the experience or the attitude.

That being said, it depends on what diving you are doing.... PADI, NAUI is fine for rec diving, IANTD, GUE, TDI are great for more advanced diving............The instructor up here is more important than the course protocols especially with technical training!

Ontario Diver once bubbled...
You need a C card to get an air fill not to buy equipment. I know, splitting hairs....

I believe you do need to rent or purchase tanks and reg's. A wetsuit won't hurt you, but if you use a reg wrong it could.

Just recently I have heard about the Ministry of Labour (Ontario) doing checks on Dive Shops and the fact that some stores will do air fills withour C-cards. This is what I mean that we need to police our industry or the gov't will do it for us. They are really starting to get serious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom