General question about regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OceanicRocks

Reaction score
I have been told that after a rebuild this could happen and was wondering if this has actually happened to folks and if so just how many. I was told even if a rebuild is done correctly a regulator can develop a lp leak for spring tension/seats which can be ok immediately after rebuild but can change after sitting a bit.

So again, is this something to really worry about or is it something that happens sooooo rarely that its really a mute point. thanks guys.

Depending on the break-in or compensation used by the technican it can range from unlikely to probable. How is that for a cut and dried answer!

In my 2+ years of diving I have seen numerous buddies have regulators return from numerous shops is very temperamental states. That is why it is always suggested to test dive gear before banking a trip on it.

Pete

It is a catch 22 for the tech. If the tech tunes for maximum performance, it leaves the reg vulnerable to developing a slight freeflow when a seating groove develops. So the trick is to tune it enough to anticipate the break in that occurs without excessively detuning the regulator.

The good news is that this does not really apply to second stages with adjustment knobs for inhalation effort as this smae knob allows enough adjustment to overcome any sensitivity that occurs during break in.

Is this something to worry about? I feel yes. I suspect it depends on the reg and the tech. One of the reasons I switched to an adjustable reg (Apex TX50). Over the years, I have returned many regs shortly after they were serviced, and I checked the regs at the shop on a shop tank. After a few days, they would develop a slight leak in the second stage that was easily resolved. I will not send a reg to the shop before a trip. I would try to get a few dives on the reg before a trip to be safe. - Tom

Well, I have the Oceanic delta 4 with the knob adjustment so I guess its all good from what you guys are saying. I did notice that it did have a slight leak when the knob was turned all the way out in the counter-clocwise direction and even went into free flow when it bumped into something... once I turned the knob it stoped the free flow. Should I worry about the slight leak in the example above or is it normal? Should I send it back to have it adjusted so it does not leak in this position? or better to leave it as is? it is brand new...Is this normal on a new reg. or will this just eventually stop when the reg is used more?

That all sounds good, just dive it.

If anything with use it may become even more likely to free flow with the resistance backed off but that's fine as long as you have the range of adjustment to put it in a good working mode.

Pete

It is set up properly. In many cases techs will set the reg up initially so it is just shrt of freeflow with the knob all the way out to give the diver maximum perfromance. After the seat breaks in this all the way ut position will usually result in a slight feeflow, but there is more than enough adjustment range to still get full adjustment.

Adjustable regulators should be stored with the knob all the way out to minimize any additional engraving of the seat. Storing the reg with the knob turned in increases the pressure on the seat and can enlarge the seating groove. It is prettycommon to see e-bay regs with the knobs turned fairly far in, and in that case, you can be sure it will need an annual service.

Some adjustable 2nds are supposed to lightly freeflow when the know is turned all the way out. 2 that come to mind are the sherwood maximus and the aqualung micra, where the service manual actually has you adjust with the knob turned 1.5 turns in so that when it is opened more it will freeflow. There are a couple others, but it's been a while and they aren't coming to mind.

Scubapro service manuals state pretty much the same thing - turn it in 1 1/2 turns from all the way out and then set it to the specified inhalation effort. Which in effect gives you more or less the same setting as turning it all the way out and setting it to where it is just short of freeflowing or just barely freeflows with the knob all the way out.

Either way the goal is I think to ensure that there is minimum pressure on the seat with it adjusted all the way out while still ensuring adequate adjustment range.

funny the person who told me the very statement in the starting thread is now saying that there is alot of wrong information on this board and many people are not translating correct info. Thank you guys for being there as a sourse to correct and keep the hipocracy in line out there. I realy appreciate all of your help and advise and personally get so much from this board. I have no idea what I would do without SB!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom