Warning, Opinion Alert!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
*Climbs on Soap Box*

I don't always get to post as much as I'd like, as I am in "Active Duty" still, but I never miss a chance to gobble down every word posted here. I was just doing my regular catching up here and I noticed something that really bent me the wrong way.

.. by BetterLateThannever
without a doubt that everyone posted has much more knowledge and experience with diving than I.
*snip*
we newbies are listening....LOUDLY
*snip*
bottom line, I feel that I would be much safer diving with buddies that realize they don't have all the answers, such as King Neptune ...

BetterLate,

You're more knowledgeable than you give yourself credit for. Your statement caught me off guard at first, as the honesty is quite refreshing, not to mention, very insightful. I remember somewhere KN mentioned his "experience" briefly and he had logged more dives by his mid-twenties than most divers will in a lifetime. Yet, you are correct in saying that you feel you would be safer with someone that acknowledges their mortality and not someone that insist that they can do no wrong!

I have been a "Military Diver" now for well over a decade, and you actually made me stop and think for a minute and I would have to agree with you, 100%. No matter how many times you have been diving in the same fish tank, it will always be a "dynamic and foreign environment". No amount of "Planning" will ever prepare you 100% for any and everything that can happen.

Those of you that have been boasting your "Superior Training and Experience" did little more than stand on your soap box and force everyone to recognize just how little you do know. No one "Plans" like divers in the military, but you wont find a single one of them that thinks "nothing can go wrong because we planned for everything".

Something that I hope they realize and I think the majority of us feel is, we really do appreciate all the regulars and even newbies that share with us their experiences and thoughts. Just for a moment, stop and think about how lucky we are to have the level of high quality and experienced experts that we have here. Dr. Campbell, who has been freely giving of his time online now for a long time; Dr. Powell, which has not only helped so many of us understand one of the most serious concerns we divers have but has personally gone and spoken to some of your clubs and even took it upon himself to help one young lady receive proper treatment in another country! BillP, John R, DocV, etc, etc ....

The list of Doctors on this site sounds like "Roll Call" at the "4077 M*A*S*H" ... A quick scan through the "Members" list and you will see a amazing list of other Professionals that you just do NOT find anywhere else on the Internet for Scuba Diving. Instructors, (SubMariner/Walter/Rick/etc..) Shop owners, Manufacturers, etc ... whew, the list just keeps going! Especially with the overall Courtesy and Professionalism that you find here as the "Standard".

Last but not least, I wanted to thank KN himself for all he has done and all he continues to do while making sure we all have a place like this. He has *a little* bit of experience himself and all I ever see is clean, honest and sincere devotion to all of us. How many other "Major" Scuba Diving sites do you see that puts 1/2 of what he has for something like 4 or 5 years as "Just a Hobby" and a clean and healthy place for divers to learn, share and grow together!.

I think all of you (moderators) do an outstanding job and I would have to admit, you are better people than me, I don't think I would have the patience to deal with everything the way you all do. Basically, if nothing else, we can all learn one thing from the likes of these people ... That we still have a LOT to learn!

Kind of reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw once ... Next time you think your perfect and could do nothing wrong ... Try walking on Water! It's interesting that it seems the more experienced and knowledgeable most of our distinguished patrons are - the more humble they are.

*Climbs down off of Soap Box*

I originally got 3 emails about this post and this other very long thread saying that they kind of hand enough already so I closed the thread, it was nothing personal Military Diver.

But then .... In the following 24hrs since, we got no less than 317 emails saying that they thought we should leave it open as it is still very informative. I'll refrain from repeating the rest of what they all said and leave it at that, hehe.

So, the people win, unlocked they are ...

=-)

K_N,I'd keep it open in the hopes that someone would top the(well deserved) praise and thanx MD has thrown your way.

100days,

I know you were (hopefully) just teasing (or not) but I really couldn't care less about that part, the credit honestly goes to all of the members and moderators here that make this place what it is. My goal is to use my abilities to do my part in giving back to something that brings me peace, pride, fun and fellowship among those that have a likewise desire.

I usually try to concern myself with keeping things running smoothly or developing the next big project or etc. That is why I don't have a lot in the way of "who or what I am" around the sites. I know and those that know me know. But those that know me also know that I feel very strongly about building a strong community within the diving industry. It bugs me very much when I look around and see so much tension among divers and the natural "Clicks" that form between different classes and groups.

Anytime you get a group of at least semi-intelligent people together, there are going to be differences and jabs tossed here and there between them. Those of you that have been around from the start can probably count on 2 fingers how many times I've edited or closed a post. We have only ever booted 1 person from here and they were a "soon-2-be certified" person that thought this forum was their personal spring board to launch racial and ethnical slurs around. If you want to just cause problems, fight, curse, argue, discuss NDR garbage, flame or otherwise break the flow of those that honestly want to teach and learn, then there are many other places to do that around the web. Some of them even consider themselves to be the "Leaders or Experts" (and all too often, people buy into it).

I don't want these forums to fall into the same traps most of the others have. We ran forums here years ago, and they fell that way, so we shut them down, sad but true. I have taken every precaution to prevent or stop it before it gets too far. A few perfect example of "too far" could be seen by looking at some of the places (bbs's / newsgroups) that Many of you have mentioned that you once participated in but tend to either a) not go there any longer or b) maybe only occasionally browse. (alt.rec.3l33t15t.5cub4.d00dz.Im2Sexy4thisPost.etc)

I want to make sure that those that come here feel like they can ask anything at anytime. Those that have been here from the start know that the very few times I have stepped "into the ring" with anyone here is when I see those that feel they have to step on others so they can make themselves feel superior for whatever reason. There should be no room for that within scuba and there is definitely no room for that here!

As much as some refuse to admit it, no one knows it all. We all have something we can learn from one another, if nothing else, then how to get along together, hehe. I think MD hit it on the nose when he said, "the more experienced and knowledgeable most of our distinguished patrons are - the more humble they are", interesting tidbit of perception, wouldn't you all say?

=-)

I'm new here so I don't know the history but I'll tell you, I've searched the web for someplace like this. I have come up empty-handed. Military Diver is correct in the point of newbie's. Everyone needs to feel they can ask if they don't know. Isn't that part of it? Helping out your fellow diver? I just wanted to say I really think I'm going to enjoy this site. As the saying goes...A GOOD Diver Is ALWAYS Learning.
Ldreamin

Military Diver,

First, let me say thanks for going to the trouble of actually reading what I said, and not simply assuming you knew what I "really" meant.

My intent in the post was to highlight an observation that KN had made earlier, namely that new divers read and listen to what's being said by the more experienced divers on the board. That places a burden on everyone to think carefully before making bold, absolute judgements, while demeaning anyone who dissents.

Nonetheless, I probably should have been more general in the address, rather than naming names. It is too easy to offend someone even if it's not the aim.

Also, I heartily second your kudos of KN and LD. This board has helped me tremendously in gaining knowledge and encouragement over the last couple of months.

Jimbo

I've learned a lot too. And it's refreshing to participate in a forum where flaming is very very rare.

and with all the new members to this board I thought I would bring it again to the light of day.

Good spot Fishkiller,

I registered in August and have been blessed with help and insights from this site ever since. I'm glad to see those who give freely so much to others receive the gratitude they deserve.

Thanks all.

Neil

the more you realize that you just don't know squat. Kudos (albeit late) to Military Diver to express that sentiment so eloquently!!! Oh yeah, and kudos/thanks/and bows to KN and LD for the superb work they do for this board... (was that enough groveling to keep me on as a regulator???)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom