Balanced versus unbalanced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

telemonster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone,

I am thinking that next summer my new scuba toy to take to the Quarry will be a Kirby Morgan EXO 26.

They came in balanced and non-balanced versions. I believe Europe banned the non-balanced ones, or at least thumbed it down.

Anyone know how bad unbalanced is versus balanced?

I have a different FFM now that I believe has a balanced scubapro regulator. It has the adjustment knob, at least. It's okay, but definitely doesn't perform like my standard Zeagle regulator (perhaps the scubapro on the FFM could still use adjustment). Next summer I will check the crack pressure on it.

Of course this all rides on price (What I can stumble on cheap). Plan to get a reg or yellow frame one if possible.

Opinions?

In my opinion, a balanced first stage is essential. A balanced second stage is nice, but not essential.

In my opinion, a balanced first stage is essential. A balanced second stage is nice, but not essential.

I disagree with this. The scubapro MK2 is one of the most successful and popular 1st stage designs ever, maybe the most reliable, and it's an unbalanced piston. I personally havve dove mine down to 130 ft without the slightest problem. In terms of breathability, a balanced 2nd stage will be more noticable due to the lighter spring pressure necessary, and will mitigate some of the loss of IP at low supply pressures.

Even with an unbalanced 2nd like the R190, I can't notice the difference in breathing in my MK2 until well under 500PSI; closer to 300 before it really becomes apparent. If a diver is deep enough to need more air than the reg would comfortably deliver with only 300PSI, chances are pretty good it's due to a faulty SPG or simple carelessness, at which point the increase in breathing resistance is a very welcome warning to get to the surface.

While my MK2 is not as smooth and effortless when directly compared to my MK15/G250, I'd have no hesitation whatsoever taking it as deep as I can go in rec conditions or in simple overheads like a guided cavern dive; in short, anywhere I'm currently qualified to dive.

Back
Top Bottom