Rental Photo equipment on Galapagos Aggressor II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Offshore

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This week I am starting to pack for my trip on the Galapagos Aggressor II, and am just now trying to sort out details of my photography set-up. My current plan is to take my dSLR as my main camera (with lenses and filters mostly for surface shots), and rent their entire set-up for the week for most of the u/w stuff. If anyone has been on the Galapagos Aggressors, I would love to hear:

1. Does anyone know what type of camera is their standard rental? They said it comes with full housing and strobe, but they couldn't even confirm any other details about the camera.

2. Supposedly, there IS a computer on board which all the guests can use (taking turns), but the guy on the phone wasn't 100% sure if the computer had DVD-R burner and whether it could download RAW format, especially .CR2 for the camera I am bringing. I am guessing Galapagos will be one of those places where I could easily take 200-500 photos a day, and am hoping not to have to bring a laptop and spare hard drive.

3. Surface photography question: were their any accessories you were either glad you brought, wish you brought, or glad/wish you left behind? I am hoping my "walkabout" 28-135mm zoom lens will be good enough for most surface shots from landscapes to blue-footed boobie closeups, and I also plan to bring a lens hood, circular polarizer, and neutral density filter. I am debating whether to bring a tripod (which seems like a pain to take all that way), and maybe one more lens (100-300mm telephoto and/or fish-eye wide angle). Does the rental u/w camera make a decent back-up surface camera?

4. Also, a non-camera rental equipment question: has anyone rented or seen anyone rent one of their rental wetsuits? I am hoping it would be easier than either renting/buying one here or bringing my drysuit as a back-up, and I am optimistic since I usually fit well into "stock" sizes, but would hate this to be one thing that made the diving there less comfortable.

The other big worry on my mind is all I hear about the crime in Guayaquil and Quito ... on a scale of 1-10, how safe (10) or unsafe (1) did those cities feel to the average diver with a big dive bag and small camera bag?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

1. Does anyone know what type of camera is their standard rental?
When I was on the Aggressor II in Nov 06, I rented what appeared to be the only camera they had, an Olympus SP350 in a Ikelite housing with one strobe. It was ok but obviously no SLR. You can see some pictures from it here. Bring rechargable AA 's for it if you can as they don't supply those. The divemaster was using a D100 that took nice photos but it didn't appear to be available for rental. Maybe they have upgraded by now and this is the rental camera though???
I brought my own laptop and didn't see a shared laptop on board, almost every photographer brought one.
3. Surface photography question - I used a Nikon d80 SLR for my surface shots and I'm glad I brought my tripod, some of the guide books made it sound like it would be too bulky to use on the islands but I didn't find this to be true. If you don't have a VR telephoto, you will get much sharper photos with a tripod. I'd bring a 300mm telephoto as that is what I used for many of my photos on the surface. I don't think the rental camera would cut it for surface nature shots.
4. Also, a non-camera rental equipment question: My wife and I rented their 7mm suits and they fit fine, we brought our own hoods as they don't rent those.
5. The other big worry on my mind is all I hear about the crime in Guayaquil and Quito:
My wife and I walked all over Guayaquil and Quito in the daytime and never felt threatened. There appears to be a huge police presence in Guayaquil now as we saw cops everywhere. At night we took cabs and again felt safe. I wouldn't recommend walking around at night in either city. I made sure my camera was in a ratty shoulder bag when walking around so as not to draw unwanted attention, so you may want to not walk around with a camera bag. Your dive bag will probably only be in the taxi and hotel. Hard to rate it on a scale of 10, like most big cities just be alert and try to stay out of the sketchy areas. Seeing as you are from NYC, you should be fine.

Oh yeah, and in Nov we really didn't get any close up views of the blue-footed boobies, saw them flying and diving in the sea but not many chances for closeup photos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom