Help with gear configuration for Intro to Cave class.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doof

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm heading to Florida to take the Intro to Cave class. I'm trying to figure out the best way to configure my gear for this. So without turning this into a DIR\non DIR debate or resorting to comments like "Buy a BP\Wing", I was wondering if any of you guys could offer some advice.

I do plan on going the doubles\manifold and BP\wing combo this summer before I take Advanced Nitrox & Deco, but money IS limited so until then, I'm stuck with some sort of combination rec\tech configuration.

Here's what I have and how it's configured right now.

Jacket-style BCD carrying a 104 with an H-Valve.

On the center valve, I have an Apeks ATX-200 that has a regular length second stage on a bungie necklace. This regulator also has the BC inflator hose and a Suunto Cobra attached. The first stage is turned so that all hoses are angled downwards. And the Cobra has a clip on that I attach to small d-ring on the right hand side of my body. So the whole things stays pretty tight to my body, and I can still read it when I need to.

On the right hand valve, I have another Apeks ATX-200 that has a 7 foot hose attached to the second stage. I also have my drysuit inflator hose attached. This first stage is also rotated so that the hoses angle downwards.

Because the BCD didn't have any shoulder D-rings, I sewed 2 small d-rings on that I have my two backup lights clipped to. The backup lights are also bungied down so that they don't float off of my body. Any advice on how to keep the bungies from sliding around?

I'm currently using a Dive-Rite weight & trim system for my weight belt, and I have a canister light that attaches to the belt.

Let's see... I've used duct tape on my mask & fins to keep the danglies in check... what else?

Oh, reels. What should I do with the reel?

Here's a quick rundown of potential attachment points.
  • Shoulder d-rings : Attached by me. Pretty small, and currently being used to hold backup lights.
  • Shoulder strap d-rings : Dangle too far away from body after the straps have been pulled tight.
  • BC "pocket" (not in the pocket - right next to it) d-rings : The one on the right has my Cobra attached to it. The one on the left is free.
  • There's another d-ring at the bottom left hand side of the BC.
  • Plus I also have a pipe-clamp with D-Rings on it that I can attach to the tank.

Any ideas on where to attach the reel?
Any suggestions in general?

Other questions:

• Should anything be done with the dangly BC straps?
  • Any good place to mount a pair of scissors? Currently they're mounted on the left shoulder strap underneath the the inflator hose, but on top of the one of the backup lights.

Keep in mind that this is pretty much a temporary fix just to get me through the intro class. But I would like to do it as best as possible.

I really can't wait to get bp\wing... it's going to make all this stuff SO much easier.

Doof once bubbled...
Plus I also have a pipe-clamp with D-Rings on it that I can attach to the tank.

This is a possibility for temporary purposes only but will work. I had mine on D-rings on my tank for cavern/intro too. As soon as I moved to Apprentice (and a different instructor) all things changed. Personally, what I would do is take all possible attachment needs with you and see what your instructor recommends. Believe me, your instructor is quite verse at rigging out someone who is in rec/tec limbo and on a budget. At this point, you're still maybe not sure you really really want to do this, and putting out money on equipment you'll never use again could be very disappointing and costly.

I say "wait and see" and have the tools/parts/ideas with you and brainstorm and learn from your instructor. Because...one instructors idea may be completely different from another's.

This might not be much help but I would say ask your instructor. If you go down there with your gear not configured right they are just going to make you change it again.

Yeah, I realize that. I actually dive with this guy and a bunch of other divers that he's trained quite a bit, and I'm trying to set my gear up based on what I've already talked to them about and observed on their own rigs. I was just wondering if anybody had any general suggestions before I get down there.

I don't know if this is a do-able option for you, but have you thought of renting a bp/harness/wing set up to use in the class?

As for where to put the reel...look at your BCD and see if there is a slot on the bottom for a crotch strap, the Mares BCD that I used to own had one, I attached a crotch strap and kept my reel clipped off to the butt d-ring.

Depending on your instructor, you probably only need one primary reel perteam for intro to cave, so unless you are running the reel, you may not need to carry one. And if you are running the reel you could just keep it in your hand until you tie off. Your safety spool should fit in your pocket.

For the dangling BCD straps, take some bike tubing, fold/roll up the dangling straps, and secure it with the bike tubing.

I agree with Lori. You really should be talking to your instructor about equipment choices and configuration. This will likely save you some problems as well as money in the long run.

-bob

I don't know who your instructor is, but doing a cave course with H-valves sucks. Consider how you will be able to quickly turn your valve back on after it rolls off. And hose routing sucks. There is no good solution. Additionally, standard rec bc's just don't cut it for cave diving. I'm assuming from your post that you will be doing the class in a wet suit. Cave diving in Florida in a wet suit sucks. You'll need a pretty thick suit just to maintain some semblance of comfort which will limit your range of motion which will make it even harder to reach your valve. Your best bet is wait to do the class until you can afford the correct gear (backplate, harness, wings, doubles, drysuit, etc.). The cave environment is not to be taken lightly. You can die in there very easily. If you can't afford the right gear, then you shouldn't be doing the class. Any good instructor worth his/her pay shouldn't let you take the class without the proper gear. If he/she does then you wasted an opportunity to learn to dive properly in one of the most dynamic diving environments that exist.

The Pirate

Your best bet is wait to do the class until you can afford the correct gear (backplate, harness, wings, doubles, drysuit, etc.).

Based on what I read in this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t19869/s.html

I was under the impression that they wouldn't even let you into the caves with doubles at the intro level.

I don't know who your instructor is, but doing a cave course with H-valves sucks. Consider how you will be able to quickly turn your valve back on after it rolls off.

I can reach both valves quite easily, actually. Not sure why you think it would be so difficult. A difference in H-valve designs maybe?

I'm assuming from your post that you will be doing the class in a wet suit. Cave diving in Florida in a wet suit sucks. You'll need a pretty thick suit just to maintain some semblance of comfort which will limit your range of motion which will make it even harder to reach your valve.

Why do you think I'm diving wet? I stated in my post where I had my drysuit inflator hose mounted. But, yes, I'm taking the course in a drysuit.

Doof,

It's perfectly acceptable to take Intro in openwater gear. You aren't a cave diver yet and won't be until you achieve full cave. Instructors for NACD, NSS and IANTD all realize you are doing this in open water gear and will advise you accordingly and work with what you have.

Once you finish Intro and do some diving at that level....THEN and only then, you can begin thinking about spending the extra moo-laa on the gear you'll need should YOU decide to advance further.

Don't make the mistake of buying gear now that you may never use again. If your instructor wants to put you in doubles and bp if he/she finds you ready during Intro, he/she will provide some to you as part of the course or for a fee.

Now, pack up your gear and all your possible attachment parts, jot down your ideas and have a great time!

The Pirate once bubbled...
Cave diving in Florida in a wet suit sucks.

I hate to disagree, but for any cave dive under an hour, I much prefer to dive wet. The streamlining and easy buoyancy is phenomenal and the range of motion isn't limited in a properly fitting wet suit. I don't get the opportunity to dive wet very often due to site choices, but you can bet that I'll be wet on any short dive or a dive that doesn't contain helium.

As to the original question, I don't know any instructors who will teach Intro in a jacket BC. I won't even teach Cavern if the student is wearing a jacket. With the money to put a pair of Apeks 200's on a single tank, I would think the 220 bucks that are required to put together a plate would be that big of a deal.

Good luck in your course

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom