help on first purchases...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltySpit

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be doing my DMT about a year from now, and I am looking to buy a good set of basic equipment for my trip. Unfortunately, my diving experience is quite limited, and I do not have the opportunity to do any diving or dive shopping until that time. So, I am looking for advice on MUST NEED equipment, and any recommendations on equipment that is both RELIABLE and relatively inexpensive. Like I said, I have about a year to put this package together, but I am also trying to save my money for the many months I plan on using said equipment in the delightfully warm waters of Thailand.

things I am confident I will need:

fins (I have been hearing a lot about SP jets?)
mask (looking for black frames because I noticed that clear frames get a lot of "gunk" buildup and mildew)
snorkle (i don't think this is a big deal, but there may be suggestions worth hearing)
BCD
computer (gecko, geo, or _________?)
octopus/reg (I have been told that the school will more than likely provide this for me, but if anyone can offer any reasons as to why I should have my own, I am willing to hear them.)
compass?
anything else?

thanks.
Salty

Salty, all the big internet dealers have complete packages that will save you a lot of money. I suggest you check them out. Some of them, such as Scubatoys, will even work with you to personalise your package to gear you really like. I suggest doing some internet Windows shopping first for packages out there. Then do some searching on the forums here. Then, if you still have some questions, I'm sure people here will be glad to help!

Hope this sets you off on the right track!:coffee:

yea...I have been looking around. the internet is about the only place I can do any shopping right now any ways. but thanks for the advice, i'll be looking into packages as an alternative to piecing things out.

fins (I have been hearing a lot about SP jets?)

Give a look to OMS Slipstreams as well. I dove Jets, and I much prefer the OMS fins that are based off of them.

Also, I can't recommend Scubatoys.com highly enough. Best customer service and prices anywhere.

go deep, stay long, and come up fast...

...and DIE!

You may wish to re-think your sig line before starting your DMT.

umm..... when you say your DMT, do you mean your Dive Master Training? If so... wow where to begin!?!

haha..yea. i did mean dive master training. and yea, i know i'm asking a lot. really, what I hoped to accomplish by this post was to narrow down my search a little bit. I have been looking around the net and this site as well, but there is so much information. I was just looking for some people to help point me in the right direction. and for the most part, the PMs i've recieved and the replies I have gotten so far have helped.

Salty,
As a Dive Master you will be expected to have your own equipment, which is anyway better for you, however, if I were you, I would go first for the training without buying equipment and then look for good and professional gear. It will save you time and maney at first

Also, keep in mind:

Buy it nice, or buy it twice.

Back
Top Bottom