Who Has The New Scubapro 250 vintage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squidster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I would like to hear from anyone who has the 250 vintage/mk17 or mk 25

How does it stack up with the s6oo,or any other reg you have used?

I own a MK17/G250V. First of all this is just subjective feel not objective fact.

I've dived it up to 130 feet in water now about 55 °F... it breaths very well in all positions (a bit less upside down but this is still normal and to be expected). Performance is on par with the MK16/R390 that I used before... up to 100 feet. Below that the MK16/R390 feels a bit heavier (I'm stating a bit... not much). It also breaths a bit wetter which is a plus in my opinion.

I like the venturi switch... the cracking pressure knob I used only once afterwards it stays in this position... if I need to decrease performance because of free flow danger I would probably just turn the venturi instead of turning the cracking pressure knob.

It's a bit bigger then the R390 but not realy heavier.

Winter cold water diving I'll still have to test (will do this winter)... but up to know very satisfied.

Of course this being said... A friend of mine swears by his MK2/R190 combo even when diving deep... so truth is in the eye of the beholder :wink:

I'm sorry I can give you no comparison with another balanced 2nd stage... someone else probably will.

great question i am a new diver looking for a reg and these are the two i am trying to decide between

I have an old G250 with the painted swirl paint on the 2nd stage and I don't like it's breathing vs. my S600 which is smoother breathing.

I was told that the Apeks ATX50 was similar to the G250 and the S600 breath like an ATX200.

I don't dive Apeks anymore, but Scubapro is good and they are back on the market for a reason i suppose.

The G250V is more or less a return to the original G250 design rather than the more recent G250 HP. The major difference is the use of a metal air barrel in the G250/G250V rather than the plastic air barrel used in the G250HP.

What that means to the diver is better heat transfer and more moisture being recyled as you breath which will reduce dry mouth on long dives.

All three use the same poppet design and the same basic design in the flow vane, so in my experience, differences in ease of breathing or smoothness tend to have more to do with how an individual regulator is set up and tuned.

A salesman at a local shop recently told me that the G250V is an improvement on the G250HP and has 43% better breathing performance. I'm not sure how that number was arrived at but it sounds pretty far fetched.

Right now you can get a mk25 first stage with either a G250HP or X650 second stage for around 400 bucks on close-out. Those are a couple of deals I'm eyeballing pretty hard. I have a mk18/G250HP on my singles setup right now, and it doesn't breathe nearly as nicely as the mk25/S600 (or my old XR2/spectrum combo for that matter). I'd really love the chance to try a G250 (both new and old) on a mk25 and see how they compare to each other, and to the S600 firsthand. The temptation right now is to go grab a mk25/X650 for my singles gear and a pair of mk25/G250HP's for diving doubles. Before dropping cash on 3 new regs though, I plan to at least try them out in a pool somewhere. I know there are a few shops around that'll let you do that.

What Scubapro claims is the G250V performs 50% better over the G250HP in their tests. They redesigned the 2nd stage barrel, iot is back to being all metal (chrome plated brass) and it has been reshaped to reduce the chance of freezing. My regulator has been promised to ship October 29. Europe has had them since May 2008.

Jim

Hmmm...that would put them way out in front of the S600 wouldn't it?

It may be 50% more freeze resistant or have 50% less dry mouth, but a claim of 50% more performance is not well connected to reality. Especially when you consider they probably made the claim that the G250HP was better than the G250 when they discontinued the original G250 and introduced the "improved" G250HP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom