Dacor Eagle 1st stage leak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jethroish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I have the same reg set up: Dacor Eagle with Viper octo. For those that may not know, these are non-adjustable 2nd stage.
Our regs were serviced in April 2007.
Due to a move this summer, we have not gotten to dive.
While getting ready for our Key Largo trip, I was checking the regs on a full tank.
Now, I guess that some regs have a very slight hiss of air from the 1st stage. At least that is what our instructor told us when I asked him about this in our OW class.
Anyhow, neither of our regs have ever had a hiss at the 1st stage. Mine does not now, but my wife's does. You have to have your ear within an inch or 2 of the 1st stage to hear it.

Is it really normal for a very little hiss? If so, should I be concerned enough (since neither of ours has doen this before) to have it checked out before our trip in a week?

BE CONCERNED...

what an instructor...."its supposed to hiss, just get in the water!" :rofl3:

this seems to be the common response in Mexico. all 3 divemasters basically said, "equipment leaks" you're fine. :coffee:

He was refering to the rental reg at the time. It was a sherwood with the dry system.

Sherwood is the only regulator that I am aware that is using a dry bleed. It is supposed to just bubble not really "hiss". I have some friends that dive Sherwood and I have showed him how to service it. If I recall correctly, out of the water it is normally hard to notice the air bleed in a properly performing Sherwood.

I haven't serviced a Dacor in close to 30 years but I am certain that it is not supposed to leak a all. And, if you can actually hear a "hiss" out of your regulator first stage, you are loosing a huge amount of air. You need to have that fixed.

Try putting some soapy water on the reg to see where the leak is coming from. My guess is that it's from the tank o-ring, at least that's the usual spot. If not there, try each of the hose connections; there's an o-ring there that commonly leaks a little as well.

Other than that someone else with more knowledge will have to chime in.

Try putting some soapy water on the reg to see where the leak is coming from. My guess is that it's from the tank o-ring, at least that's the usual spot. If not there, try each of the hose connections; there's an o-ring there that commonly leaks a little as well.

Other than that someone else with more knowledge will have to chime in.

The leak is from under the black plastic shock cover. I checked the hoses and o-ring.
If I cannot get it fixed before the trip, I will let wife use my regs and I use rentals.

Thanks....I go to cabo in 3 weeks....bringing all but my tank...plus spare o-rings

this seems to be the common response in Mexico. all 3 divemasters basically said, "equipment leaks" you're fine

Old Mares / Dacor regs explode in the HP seat. Make sure it's not that, by testing an intermediate pressure gauge on them to see if the intermediat pressure increase. If it don't, make sure the cap is tighest to the diaphragm first stage. I had one blow up once and it was the HP seat, no more mares since then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom