Maximus VS Blizzard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xaryo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My question is almost identical to the other one.

What are the pro's and con's of these two models?

I dive mostly in the 1000's Island , Gaspesia and Escoumins (where the temperature falls to 36 and below sometime). No ice diving yet, but not impossible.

So far I've been renting my reg, a Brut.

I have a Blizzard and my Dad and Maximus.....We both love them.....The maximus gives you a swivel, flow control, venturi switch, and longer hose to route under your arm....

I didnt need all that, though the longer hose would have been nice.......both are very nice regs

Have you tried either of them? I always pull out a tank and all the regs and let people decide first hand which they like better after going over the differences. Does your Shop carry them?

I haven't tried them. As I said, a Brut is all I tried in both warm and freezing water. I suppose I could try them at my divers shop.

Except for the price, what are the big differences between them?

Maximus has everything the Blizzard has PLUS:

Swivel for comfort
Flow Control to adjust how easy or hard it breaths
Long hose for routing under your arm, versus hose floating above your shoulder
Venturi switch to adjust the air flow direction

For me, I like the smaller size of the Blizzard, it breathed great for me so I didnt care for the flow control or venturi switch, but like the long hose...My dad is in love with his maximus

Its all in the features you like, some of my customers like the extra features of the Maximus, some dont need them and really like the Blizzard....

What other differences are you looking for? Is this helping? Im bad at getting my thoughts across in typing...sorry :wink:

Thanks. It is helping. Your answer is clear.

I have an other question, what is the difference between a ventury switch and the flow control?

More movebla parts doesn't mean more chances of breaking?

Flow control adjusts how easy or hard the reg breathes......Venturi is like a fin inside the reg, that when you breath you can control if the air goes right down your throat, or is angled a little bit to the side...

Anything if not taken care of will and can break, if you take care of it, you will have no worries and it will last you a lifetime :wink: Sherwoods are extremely durable and easy to fix so you can buy either with confidence...plus their customer service is top notch!!

Let me know and I can ship you one :D 10% off and free shipping

I have the maximus and i got it mainly cause of the cold water i dive in. People here have it and they say its less likely to freeze up and freeflow and you can adjust the inlet, thats nice.

Let me give you my side on Sherwood.

When I first started diving there wasn’t much out there. The main companies were USD and Heathway’s. Lots more but those were the two we always heard about and had access to.

So I started cutting my teeth with USD. Then into the Navy where it was ALL USD gear and Heathway’s was grounds for a discharge if you got caught using it.

I get out of the service and stayed loyal to USD for another 6 years when I started experimenting with others. This was easy as I had a government budget to pay for the experimenting.

After a few years of testing under some very unusual conditions and lots of ice we had made some decisions. First was Poseidon but initial cost, service cost and comfort for what we do moved them a slight bit down the list.

Next in line was Sherwood. Like the Poseidon’s the only time we could get the regs to fail on a dive was when we made them fail. Initial cost, very low service cost, all the adjustments you could want and an under arm hose has kept them in front.
That was a lot of years ago and today my entire team is in Sherwood’s. It really doesn’t matter which model as they all do good in the ice but we use the Maximus.

I like the people that say they don’t breathe very easy. Well, if they don’t breathe easy then what would they consider easy? You can dial it up to go positive pressure in a full face and free flow if you so desire and it CAN’T get much easier than that.

The dry bleed system keeps the first stage very clean and keeps repairs waaaaay down.

If I had to pick a reg that I would HAVE to use for the rest of my life it would be a Maximus. My team mates feel the same way.

We have frozen up about every other make of reg out there when it was tuned to the factory recommended specs. Even the ones that claim to be the best ice free regs were frozen up. I think a reg should perform well without having to add a kit to prepare it for ice or other diving conditions.

Scuba Pro makes very good regs but I WILL NOT use them under the ice. We worked with other divers that were a SP users as well as testing some of our own. They were the first to fail and during the testing ALL of them froze and all were adjusted on the low end for ice. Not one Sherwood froze, hummmm which way would you go?

Sherwood makes a truck. The others make Sports Cars. I would much rather use a truck for carrying the work load than try it in a sports car.

Gary D.

Sherwood makes a truck. The others make Sports Cars. I would much rather use a truck for carrying the work load than try it in a sports car.

Gary D.

Great analogy!!!! Im gonna have to use that:wink:

We conitinually put teams in the Blizzard.....they dont see the benefits of the maximus for the cost.......THe underarm hose routing alone you would think would be enough of a benefit:confused:

Back
Top Bottom