When to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chadfordr6

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to buy a reg shortly, but would now be a bad time to do so with DEMA at the end of the month? I don't want to be the chump that buys all his gear the week before all the new stuff comes out :shakehead:.
Thanks,
-chad

actually, i just bought my first reg at a swap meet. brand new ATX50. an lds owner had a bunch of old stock. nothing like a great deal on a new reg. the more i have searched this forum the more i have come to realized regs don't change very much.

unless you want the latest and greatest of course which i have no problem with at all.

Around Florida, the time to buy appears to be the Spring. That's when the items that are on the shelf today get marked down as "last year's models". Often the difference is cosmetic only. I bought two regs and a computer that way.

Ya, I like the gear swapping at Ginnie Springs because you can get cheap double tanks and stuff like that.

Regs I am thinking depend on what you'r wanting to do with them. Do you need or want good regs? Do you want cheap? Relibability or Performance.

I use Scubapro and newer Zeagle Most of the time because they breath so good, but used Atomic of a friend lately and it was nice too. Back home we have lots of Sherwood because it is great rentals gear and works until bubble start coming out of the first stage and then we service it, but they breath poorly.

Also the reg the way it configures for singles or double tank is also an issue. Buy good buy once and try to buy locally because it costs you more for service otherwise.

I bought regs online a couple times and I had no warranty with Scuba Pro.

Is the gear really going to get measurably better until we find some new space age material?

I just bought this month when the LDS had a 30 -50 % off sale.

YMMV

I'm looking to buy a reg shortly, but would now be a bad time to do so with DEMA at the end of the month? I don't want to be the chump that buys all his gear the week before all the new stuff comes out
Haven't noticed big prices changes in the peri-DEMA period. Look for sales at your LDS, which may occur at end-of-calendar-year, or Spring or Fall - in other words at various times, according to the particular lds and region.

Unless you have to have the very latest (notice I didn't say greatest) no reason to care - unless it gets you a good deal because they close out some perfectly good older stuff that often isn't much different than the new stuff.

Back
Top Bottom