Kit - So what would/do I need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OpenWater

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi guys,

I was previously thinking on doing a "zero - divemaster" course where everything was included and the kit was provided for you to keep. Plans have changed and I'm now just going to do the courses individually, and build up experience.

So, ill need my own kit, I can use the club's stuff on hire whilst doing the course but either way I'll need my own for after the course so might as well save a bit of cash and instead of hiring the equipment THEN buying, I'll buy kit sometime near the start of the course.

So the question is - what kit do I need? (very new to the diving world folks :wink: )

The kit I know of will be:
Mask
Snorkel
Wet Suit
Fins
BCD
Regulator

I've been looking around and that seems to be the basics. There are other parts but I'm not quite sure the real reason behind having the item, what it does or what its used for.
example - octopus... looks just the same as a regulator to me, unless its the term given to the regulator parts put together?
I'm not sure :confused::sorry19z:

The octopus is a backup second stage regulator. It sometimes called the octo or octopus.

As far as gear if you plan to work as a divemaster for a local shop you may want to talk to that shop and see if they have any preferences for you and if they can help you out with any of the gear. Most dive shops want their divemasters to wear the gear they sell.

Brent

and down here we also call it a occy

i see scotland/australia in your profile........ welcome

and what Hunter said... the shop will want to see you wearing what they sell

Thanks, and thanks :)

That makes it a bit tricky for buying kit then I guess, the place I'm doing the course's at would be the place id buy the kit, but thats not where I'd be working.

I'd be careful, if you know the place you will be working give them a call a see what they say

octopus... looks just the same as a regulator to me, unless its the term given to the regulator parts put together?

Actually your perception is right on, but outdated.

The alternate second stage or safe second as some agencies call it has come to be commonly called the octopus. Many brands use the octopus term for their alternate second stages so today it might as well be gospel.

Once upon a time when the basic simple scuba regulator started to sprout hoses for a pressure gauge, BC inflater, alternate second stage and maybe even a drysuit the whole ganglia was called the octopus for the apparent reason. The meaning in my prior paragraph was since overshadowed this definition.

Pete

Hi guys,

I was previously thinking on doing a "zero - divemaster" course where everything was included and the kit was provided for you to keep. Plans have changed and I'm now just going to do the courses individually, and build up experience.

So, ill need my own kit, I can use the club's stuff on hire whilst doing the course but either way I'll need my own for after the course so might as well save a bit of cash and instead of hiring the equipment THEN buying, I'll buy kit sometime near the start of the course.

So the question is - what kit do I need? (very new to the diving world folks :wink: )

The kit I know of will be:
Mask
Snorkel
Wet Suit
Fins
BCD
Regulator

I've been looking around and that seems to be the basics. There are other parts but I'm not quite sure the real reason behind having the item, what it does or what its used for.
example - octopus... looks just the same as a regulator to me, unless its the term given to the regulator parts put together?

man, IMO, you need to get some experience ie get certified 1st it seems---if you get the training one needs, you'll know & therefore understand why each component is necessary........btw, you've found a good sight to help you get started....keep asking questions.........GEAUX TIGERS.........

It may seem logical to buy gear before class to save on rentals, but it might be a false economy at this point. You have a rather sketchy idea what the basic components are, never mind any knowledge of features and details. A few people buy before they are certified but most don't, and most people will suggest buying before you have even tried it is not such a good idea.

I would suggest buying your own mask, but make sure you known how to get the right fit. Lots of people will buy their fins up front, but often it's because many shops don't rent fins. But if you can rent those too may as well at least to start. Might make sense to buy a wetsuit, especially if they don't have a decent rental that fits you well, but make sure you understand appropriate pieces and thicknesses needed where you are diving. I'd leave reg and definitely BC until after you are certified.

Back
Top Bottom