Do you find underwater photography addicting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheWetRookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I got a basic U/W camera a few months ago and I find the more I use it, the more addicting it becomes. I got the reef master mini for its' compact size and it fits in my BC pocket nicely so I don't have to carry it or clip it off and have it dangling. I wanted something for the times that you wish you had a camera. I am not much of a photo bug.

I went for a night dive last night and well, I could not put the camera down. Granted there was lots to take pictures of, (awesome dive) I just never thought that I would use it as much as what I have and am wondering now whether I should have got something better to start out with.

I am happy with my basic cam so no worries here but it got me thinking.

Anyone else find that they got addicted to taking pictures more than what they thought they would?

I got a basic U/W camera a few months ago and I find the more I use it, the more addicting it becomes. I got the reef master mini for its' compact size and it fits in my BC pocket nicely so I don't have to carry it or clip it off and have it dangling. I wanted something for the times that you wish you had a camera. I am not much of a photo bug.

I went for a night dive last night and well, I could not put the camera down. Granted there was lots to take pictures of, (awesome dive) I just never thought that I would use it as much as what I have and am wondering not whether I should have got something better to start out with.

I am happy with my basic cam so no worries here but it got me thinking.

Anyone else find that they got addicted to taking pictures more than what they thought they would?

:rofl3:!!!!!

I started with a $15 disposable, then $50 supreema supersport, then $800 pro kit, Then $5000 into present and onto $12000 set -up this january, Nope I dont find it addicting at all, just a money thieving worse then crack cocain habit!!:D

Not really addicting but I do enjoy it, I'm really there to dive. I like the wide angle shots better then the macro, you don't have to get so close and you capture more of the feeling of the dive site in the photo. If I get the shot then great, if not then I'll try again next time, the joy of digital is you can just delete it.

I've watched so many so called "professionals" with their huge setups and the double strobes sit and wait for a shot all the while they are kicking something behind them with their fins and they are totally oblivious to it, or maybe they aren't.

I inherited mine from my parents who were both diver/photographers. What a SWEET ADDICTION it is. I hope it lasts a lifetime; mine has.

UWfoto

I've never gotten hooked on still photography, but the times I've played with underwater video, I've thought that could get very addictive.

Completely addicted! Dove for over 20yrs without a camera. Started 4yrs ago and now can’t imagine not taking the camera on every dive. We just got back from a 3wk Africa trip in where we squeezed in 6 dives over 3days. I hauled the housing and strobes on 14 flights and 12 trips through Customs because as others have said it is my “precious”….

Attachments

• Zambize Shark.jpg
    Zambize Shark.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 36
  • mbaby.jpg
    mbaby.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 31
  • rockschool.jpg
    rockschool.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 37
  • elepth.jpg
    elepth.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 33
Yes, it is addictive.

I started out with a free 35mm point & shoot in a housing that a club member gave me. Then I bought a Sea & Sea MX-5II with strobe. Now I'm using my Olympus c-765UZ with housing (haven't gotten it wet yet though) and am already looking into a strobe setup for it.

When diving now, I prefer to see critters and take their pictures. I'm actually finding that's the main reason I like diving now.

And just to show how much the bug is setting in ... I've already been pricing an HD video setup because I have a feeling pictures alone won't do it for me. Luckily, I dive with my wife so we'll probably end up doing both.

Have fun!

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom