Should I or Shouldn't I?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doublesdiver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am going to be taking it to the next level soon (getting instruction for planned deco and wreck). On my doubles, I now use Scubapro Mk25AF/S600 with an R380 as my primary with a Mk25/R380 as my secondary. I am thinking about trading to Apeks XTX200 for both primary and redundant regs. Any thoughts? Good Idea? Not so smart?

Why would you want to? I dive the SPMK25/S600s on my doubles, and of all the regulators I've tried (and, since we do a lot of air-shares, I have a chance to breathe on a bunch of different ones) I like them the best.

I wouldn't trade a set of perfectly good Mk25s out unless you don't like them for some reason. They are great regs. Maybe change that R380 to a 250 or another S600. But that's about the only thing I would do.

mk25/s600 are total junk... you shouldn't do any diving outside of a shallow pool with them. I will take them off your hands for you for $200.

the apeks (i dive atx200s) do not breathe better. the main advantage i see is easier parts availability if you service them yourself. some may say the apeks are more resistant to icing. that's debatable and only an issue if you dive below 40F.

mk25/s600 are total junk... you shouldn't do any diving outside of a shallow pool with them. I will take them off your hands for you for $200.
Hey I really appreciate the super offer! :D If you're sure you want such junk, I may just take you up on it. Let's see, $200 per stage times 2 first and three second stages comes to $1,000. Did you want the hoses, also??? :eyebrow:

I am going to be taking it to the next level soon (getting instruction for planned deco and wreck). On my doubles, I now use Scubapro Mk25AF/S600 with an R380 as my primary with a Mk25/R380 as my secondary. I am thinking about trading to Apeks XTX200 for both primary and redundant regs. Any thoughts? Good Idea? Not so smart?

If you want a good cold water /tech setup stick with scubapro,
get Two MK 17/250vintage seconds

Every body thinks that apex is the only good tech reg,people are full of it!

alot of old tech divers still use aqualung Conshelfs( you can still get in a cold water version By the Way, Good Reg!) Scuba pro is every where you want to dive,i would stick with them.
The new G250 vintage second stage is supposed to be a great breathing second.

I have MK25/G250 hp's on my back gas system. They have kept me breathing in 38 degree water, and under the ice. I have buddies that dive with the Apex (DS4) and (XTX50) regs.

I would just get another balanced 2nd stage, the new G250V would be great (when they finally ship them) or even a G250HP. No need to get new regs unless of course you plan to start using you older regs for deco regs in the furture. One can never have enough regulators :wink:

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom