Canon underwater housing fogging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeoProf

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All
I was in Fiji last June diving and I was having trouble with my underwater housing fogging up. I have a Canon A70 and a DC700 housing. It was usually on the second dive. I was not using the flash. I could clear the fogging by placing my hand over the lens and warming it up.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening or ways to mitigate fogging?

Thanks
Geoprof

I use an anti fog paste called Absolutely Clear. Some LDSs carry it. For a picture of it visit:

Absolutely Clear Anti-Fog Jel 1 oz. from LeisurePro.com

Apply it to the inside of your housing, let it dry, and buff it off. I've never had a problem since I started using it in 2005. I apply anytime after opening the housing. I am unable to use desiccant packs because the Canon housing for the S70 has little to no room for them

I have a Canon IXUS 950 IS with housing and i also have very little space for a dessicant pack but i still manage to fit one in. even with it, the housing always fogged after a while with flash or not. i now prepare the camera and housing and close it while blowing (gently) air into the housing from a scuba tank (clean, dry air!) so there's no moisture in the air to condense. it's working well so far. good luck!

I had the same problem (have an Canon S50 and Ixus 850IS). I use Sealife SL911 Moisture Muncher's (can buy them from Amazon) very small moisture absorbing tubes that can fit into the housing with the camera. Cost about $8 for 10x1.5g capsules. Done 10 dives with them, and no fogging since. Used 2 per housing and they lasted about 3-4 dives before turning pink.

Accessories | Moisture Munchers

Seal the housing up in a nice A/C room and then do not open the housing on the boat to allow all that moist air in. I have several hundred dives on a canon digital and a Sony HDV camera without ever fogging up (and I haven't used any desicant packs or magic lens juice yet).

I do have a pack of 50 desicant packs that I bought just in case but never needed them.

I usually try to set my camera up at home (or in hotel) before I leave for diving. I turn on the AC to a chilly 20c degrees or so and if the AC has a dry function, use that too. then hold my case open under the AC for a few minutes, instal the camera, and while under the AC close the case. It seems to work very well so far. I also toss in a few silica pacs.
one word of warning, with the AC blowing you need to inspect the o ring in case something blew into it.
best of luck.

Try minimizing how long the camera is on, especially the LCD. This generates heat and cause fogging. Turn the camera off after taking the shot, if it does not have an off turn down the auto-off time.

Back
Top Bottom