Advice on insurance.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loko

Registered
Reaction score
Latitude 1°19'37.40"N Longitude 103°49'26.57"E (Si
# of dives
0 - 24
Not sure this is the place to post but tips for finding the correct insurance will be appreciated.

I have quite a bit of equipment I use for shooting in dry conditions, birds and macro. I am in the process of getting a housing for my Canon 40D . The fear is that I will be an real dummy and flood the camera or even drop it into the murky depths.

Any idea which insurance company is willing to take risks on dummies?

Usage is mainly in the Asia Pacific region and base is Singapore.

Thanks.

The housing for my Coolpix came with 1 year DEPP insurance. I've never made a claim on it so I can't comment on that from first hand experience, but I have seen discussions here on SB regarding them and they seem to be very on the level.

Other options are through DAN (apparently only if you live in the US though) or through your homeowner's insurance (if ou have it).

If you do a search for insurance you will find quite a few more or less recent posts and there are some links in the Sticky, too.

I've been using DEPP for years with multiple claims and no problems beyond sometimes it's tough to get an email back from them promptly...but nothing that's sent me over the edge.

Can't directly comment on the other options as I haven't used them.

Be aware that that D.E.P.P is a scam
:no All evidence to the contrary. I had a bunch of gear stolen earlier this year while on a trip and while the airline involved and my travel insurance company would offer me no compensation, DEPP paid my claim on the nearly $2,300 of UW camera gear insured with DEPP that was among the gear stolen with no problems.

All my SCUBA gear is insured with DEPP. I flooded my first camera two years ago and they quickly settled the claim without any problems.

I've been told that home owners insurance policies can cover equipment, but my home owners is already high. I don't want to have it increase even more with a scuba related claim.

I my opinion this is not the correct use of insurance. I feel that insurance is for things that you cannot reasonably replace, like your house or car. Any insurance company willing to take the liability of someone just calling in and saying that my camera got flooded or stolen is going to make you pay dearly for it.
Insurance has it place but sometimes we get carried away. When we rent a car the try to get you to buy insurance to protect your insurance!

Well I am glad they made some people happy. My experience was the the same as 'robbint' ( see post below) did experience: rude responses, lies and no response.
They never bothered to contact nor the shop nor the gear manufacturer. I got contact with them last week after 8 month of silence before I posted on this forum...they say they will do something. It is now one year I have more than 5000 usd of gear waiting for repair.They say they will do something but so far...they did just nothing

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...epp-insurance-out-business-3.html#post3181495
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...epp-insurance-out-business-3.html#post3181495
ps: Does someone believe that waisting our time with this make us happy?
I would rather perfer to make them good publicity and have my gear in order!

I use Allstate for my home and cars. They added a few years ago a sports gear section. This covers up to $10,000 with a $500 out of pocket. So if my bags are stolen, lost, runover, etc I am coverd. Now if I drop my camera into 2000 ft of water or flood the case then its a lesson learned deal. One item can be more then $2500, if it is I have to list it as a line item. For example, DSLR might go on that list. This is all full replacement value.

I think this is $20 per year.

Acting as a legal advisor on behalf of Mr. Cyril Gicquel known as ‘Longipalmus’ on this forum.
My client is a professional in the dive industry and was we thought we could deal with professionals.
At the contrary. This is the reason of this post.
After more than a year without news from Depp and miss Hall (a single person company?), the only thing that made this company react was a post on this forum.
Within the same week my client finally got a reply from miss Hall.
Then on Mr Gicquel behalf, he handled me the case.
I have never seen an insurance company like DEPP !

You send the right papers they asked for, but letters are sending back. You try to call them, but they never pick up their phone, or they hang up. You send e-mails, but don't get any answer.

More than a year to close a claim ! Even when they have all they were asking for!

When we are so lucky so we can have a mail from Sandy Hall, she just pretends the documents she received were in french, so she had to translate them. Ok, I can understand that.
But... It was more than a month ago and since... No news, no answer, no contact!
And no way to know the following of the claim.
Now, we don't have any other choice : we have to start a legal procedure against DEPP.

What a waste of time and money!
If the case is not solved soon as we are contacting collegues in your country, we will post again to state what this insurance is…., unless they do their job.
The least we can do is to warn other people against unprofessional behavior in the dive industry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom