Where to find Rhinopias?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KayKay

Reaction score
Where in the world has best chance of seeing a Rhinopias?

I read that Loloata resort in PNG seem to have highest possibility, even better than Milne Bay. Can someone comment on this? I have dived in Lembeh (Sulawesi) but wasn't lucky enough.

If you have seen a Rhinopias, please tell me where you saw it and the month.

Many thanks

Weedy Scorpionfish are found on the Great Barrier Reef (northeastern Australia) and I've heard they can also be found off Japan and some South Pacific Islands.

They usually just sit on the coral in 5 to 25 metres of water. I've seen a photo of one that was found in March in Lembah Straits.

December 2001 - Laloata - I think End Bommie

is absolutely right.

Without a doubt the finest place in the world to see rhinosceroses is at End Bommie near Loloata Islands Resort in PNG. On the outside of the boomie in about 60ft of water there is a little hole and there is almost always one hanging about having a good time.

I have seen them in Milne Bay also - Cobb's Cliff once - but End Bommie is a sure fire place to see them. Having said that, if you don't see one, don't blame me! :)

Actually, they're the same individual, but the poor chap has suddenly got the desire to cross-dresss, and now thinks he is an orange shagpile carpet!

Hi,

Just got a mail today from Bali, The Blue Lagoon dive at Padangbai has two resident weedy scorpionfish as well as a leafy scorpionfish plus others. Strap on that macro lens, head on out and stick two fingers up to terrorism.

Neil

Thanks to everyone who replied. Resident rhinopias at Blue Lagoon, Padangbai? Could this possibly be mistaken identity? The guides told me they have never seen Rhinopias there. Haven't heard of Rhinopias even at Secret Bay.

Did Blue Lagoon a few months ago, lots of leaf scorpionfish. Also possible to see ambon scorpionfish. Which dive shop said they saw Rhinopias there? Would like to know more....

that's not a weed, honest!

Actually, Scuberd, they mimic feather stars/crinoids, whatever you wanna call them. They hide amongst the fronds of said beasties on the top of coral outcrops and wait for unsuspecting prey to trundle past. Tyhere is a chance that they may even change colour to suit their chosen crinoid, though that is purely speculation.

KayKay, it MIGHT be a rhinopias. There are a number of rhinopias species. The most well known are r. aphanes (see above) also called Merlot's scorpionfish or weedy or lacy scorpoinfish, and r. frondosa, the weedy scorpionfish.

Most likely the one in Bali was Eschmeyer's scorpionfish, another rhinopias species, and more prevelant along the Indian Ocean borders, as Bali is. What colour was it?

Aphanes & frondosa are generally found forther east in SE Asia, in PNG and rarely in the Solomons and the GBR.

I have also seen Ambon scorpionfish and pygmey scorpionfish, both in Milne Bay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom