good pony reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bam540

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Im looking for a reg for my pony bottle. Just wondering what others are using. I want to keep it as cheap as possible, but want the peace of mind knowing that its gonna work if I need it.

Oxycheq second stage ($80.00) and first sage from 123 scuba, on this board, ($60.00).

Im looking for a reg for my pony bottle. Just wondering what others are using. I want to keep it as cheap as possible, but want the peace of mind knowing that its gonna work if I need it.

Here are pictures of the first stage.

There are several affordable but reliable options.

1. The OMS DIN reg is a good choice and it comes standard with a DIN connection which is a bit more low profile on a pony than a yoke connection. It is the $200 range retail and only slightly cheaper on-line. But OMS dealers are scarce and service could be an issue.

2. The Scubapro Mk 2 R295 is a compact yet reliable and affordable reg that is well suited to pony use. The unbalanced piston design is super simple and ultra reliable but offers performance good to at least 130 ft - ideal traits for a pony. It retails for about $280 but can be bought online for around $200. A DIN conversion kit is about $50 extra.

3. The Scubapro Mk 2 R190 is the same first stage with a slightly larger second stage that incorporate a flow vane adjustment that is very desirable on a pony reg. It retails for about $270 but can be found online for about $150. It is one of the best buys around and is very well suited to pony bottle duty. A DIN kit is available and is again about $50.00. It would be my first choice for a pony reg or deco reg.

4. The Aqualung Titan is a good choice and is about $320 retail and is again in the $200 range on line. It is a balanced diaphragm first stage reg that provides more flow rate, but also more than you need with a pony.

5. The Aqualung Calypso is another good pony reg. It retails for about $275 and is about $100 cheaper online. It is again an unbalanced piston design that is super simple, super reliable and ideal for pony use.

6. The Apex XTX20 is another balanced diaphragm first stage reg option. It retails for $420 but is available on line for around $250. Like the Titan it offers a bit more performance, but also more bulk and complexity.

Both Scubapso and Aqualung have widespread dealer networks so getting one services is easy. Plus both companies have excellent records for long temr parts and service support so a new reg bought from them will not be obsolete in a few years or even after a decade or two.

For that reason, used USD/Aqualung and Scubapro regs make viable choices as well. You can find an older Conshely XII or XIV on e-bay for very reasonable money and they have to be very badly treated to be in so poor a condition that they cannot be brought back into serviceable condition for reasonable money. The same comment applies to the Scubapro Mk 3 and Mk 200 - predecessors to the current Mk 2. They are often available in excellent condition for well under $100 and are cheap and easy to service.

The $60 first stage is not ideal, IMHO, for a small pony. You can see in the picture, since none of the LP hose ports point straight down when the reg is sideways your hose is bowed out and bent a little. It's not a huge deal, but over time it will probably wear.

I think either the scubamax or TDL rotating turret regs would work well (around $200 for first and second stage).

ScubaMax RG-1002 Diver Adjustable Regulator - ScubaMax Regulator

TDL Regulators : Tech Diving Limited - Home of Nautilus Dive Planner

Rich

The $60 first stage is not ideal, IMHO, for a small pony. You can see in the picture, since none of the LP hose ports point straight down when the reg is sideways your hose is bowed out and bent a little. It's not a huge deal, but over time it will probably wear.

I think either the scubamax or TDL rotating turret regs would work well (around $200 for first and second stage).

ScubaMax RG-1002 Diver Adjustable Regulator - ScubaMax Regulator

TDL Regulators : Tech Diving Limited - Home of Nautilus Dive Planner

Rich

Both of those are the exact same reg. TechDiversLimited just buys them from the same source (ocean divers ltd) as Scubabmax does and puts their logo on them (and charges a little more).

They are both a RG-1002 first stage with a RG9 2nd stage. (or RG3 for the yellow faced one).

But both are solid performers. Ocean Divers makes regulators for half the equimpment makers now days....

The Zeagle Razor/Envoy combo is really nice for a pony. The Razor is a tank valve and 1st stage all in one. Slims down your setup nicely.

Envoy-RaZor.gif

The black cap you see there is a cover for the filler. Here they are filling it using a whip adapter:

RaZor-with-Fill-Adapter.gif

Here is the transfiller that will let you transfer gas from a full tank over to the pony:

Accessories.gif

I bought both. I use the whip adapter when I can. On trips, you never really know. My dive op in Cozumel has the tanks filled somewhere on the island so I have to use the transfiller there.

-Charles

-Charles

The Zeagle Razor is nice, my instructor has one on his 40cf bottle, and I've used it, it's quite nice. One neat little feature we discovered is that the fill port on it, where you see the yoke adaptor being threaded on, is a standard paintball quick connect. Which is nice for us, since we have a paintball whip on our banks. Another option to consider that you can get for about $250 is the Oceanic Alpha 8. Nice little non adjustable second stage, rock solid first stage, not much to go wrong or fiddle with.

Jim

2. The Scubapro Mk 2 R295 is a compact yet reliable and affordable reg that is well suited to pony use. The unbalanced piston design is super simple and ultra reliable but offers performance good to at least 130 ft - ideal traits for a pony. It retails for about $280 but can be bought online for around $200. A DIN conversion kit is about $50 extra.

3. The Scubapro Mk 2 R190 is the same first stage with a slightly larger second stage that incorporate a flow vane adjustment that is very desirable on a pony reg. It retails for about $270 but can be found online for about $150. It is one of the best buys around and is very well suited to pony bottle duty. A DIN kit is available and is again about $50.00. It would be my first choice for a pony reg or deco reg.

5. The Aqualung Calypso is another good pony reg. It retails for about $275 and is about $100 cheaper online. It is again an unbalanced piston design that is super simple, super reliable and ideal for pony use.

Two quick ?s:

1-Source for your online pricing? Looks like LP, but they're out of the MK2/R190. Just wanted to know if you have another source.

2-Is there a DIN conversion available for the Calypso?

Don't people use Apeks regs for pony's as a really high end solution? Doesn't this same "issue" still exist with those regs? Makes me wonder if it's a real issue... can you confirm? (serious question)

Are the $60 regs still available? Got link?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom