I need a camera - come beat a dead horse in here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

otay!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,
First, apologies for bringing up a subject that I assume is talked about far too much...but I need a short path from A to B. A little about me...

I've been a fan of photography for some time...been taking dry pictures for about 25 years. Big Canon freak. Learned on an F-1, migrated to an EOS-1, and now have a 30D recently gifted by my wife. I love my camera. I love it so much that I'm far too nervous to put it in a housing and take with me to depth. This may be something that I get past, someday, but at this time I don't believe I'm ready. Further, I don't want to be encumbered by diving with a large housing, nor do I want to deal with the travel restrictions of one...so, all that said - I guess what I need for diving is *gasp* a PnS. :11:

I've read through alcina's post. Very informative. But I'm still a bit clueless. I understand a few things thus far - when it comes to SeaLife vs. a land camera in a housing, the land camera seems to win in terms of pic quality and functionality. My wife and I currently use a Canon SD400 for parties and such, and it certainly can use an upgrade (well, not really, but all you gearheads know what's up)...so I'm totally down to go buy a new land PnS with corresponding housing - and suppose I can get past the flood risk on a smaller ticket item. I am also aware that the strobe helps enormously...but again, very cumbersome - I'm feeling like I won't go there yet.

So...now you know where my head is at. Can you answer the following questions for me?

1. Is a SeaLife worth exploring, knowing that I will not be using a strobe, nor will I consider (at this time) submersing my 30D?
2. Is there any value in using my SD400? Are there quality housings for it? Are there limitations for UW use with that model (I keep reading about the A)?
3. Can I still take "good" casual photos with a camera that fits nicely in a BC pocket?
4. If I can, knowing what you know know about me...what is your recommendation???

Mahalo!

Hi All,
First, apologies for bringing up a subject that I assume is talked about far too much...but I need a short path from A to B. A little about me...

I've been a fan of photography for some time...been taking dry pictures for about 25 years. Big Canon freak. Learned on an F-1, migrated to an EOS-1, and now have a 30D recently gifted by my wife. I love my camera. I love it so much that I'm far too nervous to put it in a housing and take with me to depth. This may be something that I get past, someday, but at this time I don't believe I'm ready. Further, I don't want to be encumbered by diving with a large housing, nor do I want to deal with the travel restrictions of one...so, all that said - I guess what I need for diving is *gasp* a PnS. :11:

I've read through alcina's post. Very informative. But I'm still a bit clueless. I understand a few things thus far - when it comes to SeaLife vs. a land camera in a housing, the land camera seems to win in terms of pic quality and functionality. My wife and I currently use a Canon SD400 for parties and such, and it certainly can use an upgrade (well, not really, but all you gearheads know what's up)...so I'm totally down to go buy a new land PnS with corresponding housing - and suppose I can get past the flood risk on a smaller ticket item. I am also aware that the strobe helps enormously...but again, very cumbersome - I'm feeling like I won't go there yet.

So...now you know where my head is at. Can you answer the following questions for me?

1. Is a SeaLife worth exploring, knowing that I will not be using a strobe, nor will I consider (at this time) submersing my 30D?
2. Is there any value in using my SD400? Are there quality housings for it? Are there limitations for UW use with that model (I keep reading about the A)?
3. Can I still take "good" casual photos with a camera that fits nicely in a BC pocket?
4. If I can, knowing what you know know about me...what is your recommendation???

Mahalo!
I'll take a shot at the fourth question: If you're willing to shoot film, I'd suggest a Nikonos V. You can still get them new at B&H Photo for $299. You can find the lenses and strobes on eBay fairly cheaply if you shop carefully. The camera and lens combo is very compact (although not small enough for a pocket) and the optics are absolutely superb. You also have full manual control of the camera if you so desire. The downsides for some people are: (1) it's a film camera and (2) it uses a "guess" focusing system in which you estimate subject distance. The former is not an issue for me, but I'm sure I am in a minority (on the other hand, if Nikon would be so kind as to introduce a full frame "Nikonos D" that uses the existing lenses, I would be ecstatic). As to the latter, you're generally shooting stopped down far enough and with a wide enough angle lens that depth of field hides any focusing miscues.

Have fun with your selection.

As a Canon fan - you oculd consider any of the following (and more) A630, A640, A650is, G7, G9, A570... They will all do a good job of macro, and I thinkt hey all have full manual controls and also adjustable flash power. the A630 and A640, and G7 are run out models - so you can probably get them cheap. Housings can be had for about $200 or a touch less. the only downside with these is that I find that the wide angle is a bit limited. But if you are for macro - macro as close as 1cm is pretty hard to beat.

There are a few people using the A series Canons, and some of them are taking VERY good shots.

There are, of course, othe roptions, Seconds hand Oly 7070 may well be a smart bet - have seen some great shots taken with these. Plenty of others too...

Z...

I read your post and couldn't help but to chime in. I originated from the Minolta X-700 which always gave competition to the Canon AE1-program which my brother owned.

When I took a haitus from cameras and came back it was all digital and Minolta had been purchased by Konica.

I then jumped into the Canon S100 with only 2.0 pixels, the camera rocked. Then I got the Canon S500 and had lots of fun until the SD line arrived.

I jumped on the SD 800is and I love that camera so much, fits in my pocket and gives me all options from Manuel to Aquarium, Underwater mode etc...

Okay, so yesterday my WP-DC9 arrives and here are my first set of pics underwater... She also does incredible video for such a small camera.... I took these of my wife on her first day exploring a free lesson in Scuba by PADI...

v83itd.jpg

2cmokt3.jpg

rwoqc5.jpg

Is a SeaLife worth exploring, knowing that I will not be using a strobe...

I took these photos with my Reefmaster Mini at depths of 25fsw to 50fsw without flash. The vis was between 15' to 50'. My Mini hangs on a retractor off my right BCD strap and is easy to ignore until I see something that interests me. Hope this helps you decide.

2007-08-19 Cleo Street Foss Barge 061.jpg

1506874239_adf1f52d3c_b.jpg

PICT0090.JPG

PICT0114.JPG

2007-07-21 Catalina SCD-Gold Star 080.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom