Reg & Octo advice for the newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rachelita

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just bought a used ScubaPro Ladyhawk BC with Air 2 Alternate Inflation Regulator (yes it is being serviced right now as we speak). Can I use any ol' octo and reg w/ this BC? Feel kind of overwhelmed w/ the reg choices and not sure if there is a different kind needed for this BC.

Air II fitting is brand specific so you can use whatever is the regulator, but bc hose has to be for whatever bc fitting you have.

You can use any octo and reg with any BC. I have scubapro and love them. I would go with one's highly rated by scubadiving mag. or similar. I used to rent and do find the breathing much easier and drier with my own equipment.

buy the best that you can affoard, That doesn't mean the most expensive, just best performing. Zeagle and ScubaPro both have a bunch of afforadable (<$500) regs that consistently get top scores.

Personnally- I have 2 Zeagle DS-V's and they are fantastic, my second stage is a ZX and the octo is the Envoy. I picked them up for about $400 complete each about 3 years ago.

as far as fitment- I don't recall seeing a different size LP port, The LP and HP ports are threaded differently to prevent threading an LP hose into a HP air source, and I have seen 2 different HP port threadings. Basically, if it doesn't want to screw in easily, then you should probably see a tech and get things straight.

Any Regulator and Octo will work with any BC. The only thing that varies is the hose for the inflater. The Octo+ (Zeagle) has a different fitting than most standard inflater's. The inflater hose should have come with the BC, but if not, your LDS, or favorite online store should be able to hook you up!

I dive the Zeagle DS-V/ZX, and it's a great reg. The Zeagle Envoy, or Envoy Deluxe are great breathing regs in the $200~250 range (without Backup/Octo). Most regs these days breath so well that one needs a machine to measure the difference.

Many Swear by ScubaPro, but I think they are more complicated to service. Speaking of which, make sure that if you WANT to do local service that you choose a manufacture that your LDS services. The other option would be to use someone like ScubaToys or TechDivingLimited and send the reg in for service.

Keep in mind that any used reg you get will need servicing unless you can verify that it has been serviced in the past year. You should add the servicing expense into the cost because buying used may not be much of a deal once you pay to have everything serviced.

Back
Top Bottom