Diving in Malta - What sort of suit, if any?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Royal Frog

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to Malta for a weeks diving in March. :) I don't know what to do about suits - so I take my 8mm semi dry, or hire a suit when I get there? :confused: I'm used to diving in UK waters, usually about 11 degrees C. Any help appreciated, many thanks in advance. Dive safely. Ribbet.

Water Temp is reckoned to be about 14 degrees in March Welshy. I will need a suit - I just don't know wheather to take my semi-dry or hire one.

...I'd take a dry suit. I know a good semi dry will keep you warm enough but my semi dry is good because it is a very snug fit which means an absolute bugger to get on and off.

Regards

Welshy, thank you for your advice. My semi-dry is very snug also, which means it's a total bugger to get on and off as well. I'm going to wait until about 3 weeks before I go, and try it on. I'm on a savage diet at the moment, as the bloody thing has also shrunk! If I have severe problems getting it on after the diet (ha!) then I'll think again. Thanks again, be safe. Ribbet.

....isn't it Froggy. My semi dry always shrinks after Xmas. Seems to affect all my other clothes as well. Like you now on strict training and low alcohol regime until mid March!

Regards

Funny? Pain in the arse more like. Plus neoprene does shrink after a certain length of time, which does not exactly help the situation. Mind you, I have now found out that to hire a wet/semi would cost about £20 for the week, which isn't going to exactly break the bank. I'll have a think about that a little more. I'm trying to keep the weight down you see. Mine as well as the baggage... Dive safely and take care.

i don't know if it helps but when I was in Malta about three months ago one of the instructors mentioned that they only had 5mm suits for the students, so make sure you can confirm the type and condition of the suit before you go. You don't want to get there and be presented with a 5mm or a nice 7mm semidry with a big hole in it.

I dived in Gozo (island just off of Malta) last October. I was wearing a 5mm semi and was happy!!!

I'd advise more than a 5mm though as in Oct. its much warmer its at the end of the season rather than the beginning.

Had a chat with the manager of the Maltese dive school I'm going to be diving with, and he says it will be about 14 degrees C or so. So, as I dive in 11 degrees - 14 degrees in UK in a drysuit, I'll take the drysuit with me. Plus I will know exactly where I am re weight, and it's a damn site lighter than the ruddy semi. Thank you all for your advice. Dive safely. Ribbet.

Back
Top Bottom