Mini-Mini Spear Tip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

benha

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi. Took my Mares Sten Mini-Mini out for the first time over the weekend and put it to good use. Shot a nice Cabezon on the first dive of a three day trip. When I got back to the boat, I realized with great disappointment that the spear point had unthreaded itself and fallen off. Boo...

So I need to replace it. Anyone have any recommendations for a point for this gun? The stock one was garbage anyway (actually had to unthread it to get the fish off because it didn't have a flapper retainer) so I'm not that bummed about it, but I don't know the thread size, and I need to find something small and light, but with enough holding power to keep a big ling or 'but on the end of the spear.

I can't find much info on this gun out on the big wide web...

-Benha

PS - Yes, I realize this is a less-than-ideal gun for shooting lings and 'buts. When you're primary goal is grabbing lobsters though, you don't really want a big gun along. This thing clips to my BC and I hardly notice it's there.

Wow, you're the man. . . clipping a loaded speargun to your BC and ignoring it on a dive. Sorry, I can't tell you what the size of your threaded shaft is, but there are thread adapters made to change points from one brand to another. My favorite points are made by JBL, they offer a rock point with spinner barbs, that will hold if the fish spins around. The rock point is round like a pencil sharpened piece of steel. It is tougher if you go through the fish and hit rock. The also make a Tri cut point, that has a sharp edged pyramid of a point, also with spinner barbs.

Both of these points have smaller length barbs, that will open on the back side of the fish if your spear doesn't penetrate deeply through the fish. Some well equiped dive shops will carry points and adapters, or you might have to shop the internet. To determine the thread size, take the shaft off of the gun, so it is just a non-threatening steel shaft, go to Lowes or Home Depot and test different nuts till you find the size and thread count. Back when Nemrod sold a small gun, it lacked penetration. . . switching to a longer shaft in the same gun, increased the mass of the spear and increased accuracy and penetration.

Thanks for the info.

To address your first statement, the gun isn't loaded when clipped to my BC. I bungee the spear shaft to the side of the gun until I'm ready to load and shoot. The fish I'm after pretty much sit still, so there's plenty of time to load the gun when you find one. It would be idiotic to clip a loaded gun to your BC.

If you are going to go with a small gun try to get the skinniest tip possible you will get the best penetration. Also put some higher powered bands on. One of the band that I have is made for the next size small gun. Yes this will wear on your trigger more but you will wound less fish do to the fact that they will not get away. Plus replace the part on the trigger is easy and pretty inexpensive and you will love the extra power.
Just my take

They are 7MM Male threads , I do the exact same thing, keep it clipped off un-loaded until it is need. My first passion on a dive is looking for bugs only after I've checked the holes do I start looking at the fish. BTW it is a pneumatic/spring powered gun not banded.

The JBL Single Barb 7mm works very good. The nose is a little long and if you hit a rock, you could wrap the tip. The Mares original double barb spear tip that came with the unit, has a short nose and if you hit a rock.. it will not warp that easily. These are the pros and cons I experienced.

This is an old thread.

My Snubnose has a JBL rotating arrowhead 2 5/8"wingspan. A rotating rock point will also work well for Lings and Cabs. The longer 4" wingspan may not deploy.

SCUBA.com has JBL spearpoints in both 7mm threading for the Sten and the more standard 6mm.

You can either carry an adapter Female 7mm to 6mm male or get a 6mm die from OSH and turn down the thread. This way you can use a 6mm spearpoint which are more readily available.

JBL makes a few good spearpoints. SCUBA.com also has some better 8mm Inox shafts.

A break-away or a 5 point will be needed for Halibut.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom