Florida Springs - In February???? COLD???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcasey

Reaction score
We are planning a dive at two of the Floride Springs (Vortex & Morrison) in mid-February. I have been told that the water is going to be pretty cold. Like in the high 50's - low 60's. I'm assuming that is surface temperature.

What do you recommend we wear? I have a farmer john when worn together my torso area is 6mm and 3mm elsewhere.

My wife has a 3/2. Obviousely that won't work

Hood?

Thanks,
rcasey

I've never heard of the springs changing in temperature that much. It'll probably be between 68-72. I'm sure the outside temp will be a little cool. All depends on your tolerance to cold.

I use a farmer john 2pc and I'm fine. A hood would be a nice addition. The 3/2 probably won't work for very long. I mostly dive in the springs near Ocala (just south of the Vortex area). I've been meaning to try Vortex. I've been told it's HUGE.

The water will be around 72ºF and no colder than 62ºF. This will feel nice and toasty compared to the outside temps, which could be anywhere bwtween 80ºF and 30ºF (we've had some crazy winter weather here lately.

I wear a 3mm farmer john and a 3mm long sleeve shorty. I've spent 2 hours at a time in the springs without getting really cold, but I think I've built up a tolerence of sorts to it. A hood should help you alot keep in body heat.

Some hints for staying warm......bring a bathrobe to wrap yourself in when you change out of your wetsuit at the dive site. Better than standing there in a wet bathing suit. Also if your wetsuit doesn't dry over night and you are getting ready for a second day of diving, the last thing you want to do is get into a freezing wet wetsuit (trust me), so what I do is I get a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, fill it with hot water and stick my wetsuit in there and close the lid. By the time I get to the dive site i have a nice warm wetsuit (it stays warm until about the time I hit the water).

Have a good trip and dive safe. Don't go beyond your personal comfort level or your level of dive training. There is nothing in a cave to see worth dying for (that was just my good deed of the day public service announcement :) )

Wendy once bubbled...
...just my good dead of the day...

Wendy, your Freudian slip is showing!

Both Vortex and Morrison are 68 degrees 365 days a year, 366 in leap years. You may get a little variation around the edges near the surface, but both have sufficient flow to be reliably 68 all the time once you get under water.
Rick

Good advice Wendy, Rick, & Dr. Jay.

Anyone else have any suggestions. 3 of the 4 going are novices and we don't want to learn what to wear the hard way. I can hear my wife now..."You should have gotten me a thicker suit, I froze my a** off down there." and then a fun drive back to Atlanta.

Thanks,
Ryan

chris_b once bubbled...

Wendy, your Freudian slip is showing!

Hehe, I fixed it. Occupational mix up I guess.

Just for a couple of data points, I dive a 7mm jumpsuit (with a beanie, no gloves) in the caves in Akumal, which is in the high 70s. For Florida I wear a drysuit; the High Springs/Mayo area caves are in the low 70s.

Roak

I'm female and I get cold easily. I just spent a week in Akumal last month and wore a 7mm jumpsuit and small hood too. I got chilly on those dives and plan on bringing a hooded vest with me next year.

I wear a drysuit when I dive the Florida Springs and prior to having a drysuit I wore a 7mm jacket/john and got chilly toward the end of my dives.

My personal opinion is your wife will be miserable in a 3/2. And you may be miserable as a result!;-0

I am going to buy a couple of hoods for this trip, and will come in handy when we hit the GA coast in the off season. What is an adequate thickness at these temperatures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom