Did my LDS overcharge me for annual service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajay

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a year old Apeks XTX 200 that I took to my LDS for the first annual inspection. I was charged $118.78. I did about 15 dives since I purchased the reg. I thought servicing the reg was going to be a lot cheaper than this. Also, I thought the parts for Apeks Regualators were free.

These are the charges:

Regulator overhaul 1st stage $35.00
Regulator overhaul 2nd stage $15.00
Regulator overhaul octor $15.00
Annual service kit 1st stage $27.00
Annual service kit Reg & octo $16.00
108 O-ring $1.60
Tax NYC 8.375% $9.18

Total $118.78

Is this price fair or did they rob me?

I have a year old Apeks XTX 200 that I took to my LDS for the first annual inspection. I was charged $118.78. I did about 15 dives since I purchased the reg. I thought servicing the reg was going to be a lot cheaper than this. Also, I thought the parts for Apeks Regualators were free.

These are the charges:

108 O-ring $1.60
Tax NYC 8.375% $9.18

Total $118.78

The general service price is reasonable. $65 for 1st. 2nd and octo is in line. As to parts if your regulator was NOT purchased from an Authorized Aqualung / Apeks dealer in the USA it does NOT qualify for free parts. If it was purchased from an Authorized dealer but was NOT serviced by an authorized dealer .... no parts. If it was purchased from and serviced by an authorized dealer they should NOT have charged for parts -- refer them to the Aqualung Link HERE

However ...... $118.78 for full overhaul and parts is pretty much inline for most regulators.

Cheers

I had it serviced from the same place I puchased the regulator, they are an authorized dealer. The name of the LDS is Pan Aqua in NYC

Labor for an annual service should not exceed $25 per stage. The shop you used breaks it down a bit differently by charging $35 for the first stage and $15 each for the second stages. Realisitically the labor required for the first stage is no greater or at least not much greater than the labor for the second stage. But the overall labor cost is still reasonable and less than average.

The dealer seems to also have a healthy markup on the first stage parts although the second stage parts kits are near cost. So there seems to be a trend in terms of gouging a bit on first stages, but then practically giving away the service on the second stages. Odd, but not out of line overall.

As stated previously the parts should have been free given that you bought it from an authorised dealer, are the original owner and are within the expected service interval.

I could be mistaken on this point but I thought Apeks required an annual inspection but only required a full service every two years. Whether a full annual service is required is ultimately up to the tech and depends on the condition and usuage of the reg over the past year, but I suspect with only 15 dives that an inspection and flow test may have been sufficient - assuming the reg was properly stored, maintained and rinsed after each diving day and had no dirt, corrosion or performance issues that would have made a full annual service adviseable.

The questions then are 1. did they do a pre service flow test of the reg to assess if it needed a full annual service, 2. did they give you the pre and post test results, and 3. What prompted them to decide to do the full annual service on a reg with 15 dives and most likely less than 10 hours of use since new?

Also, with an 8.375% sales tax rate - I'd relocate somewhere more consumer freindly.

I will definitely give them a call. I just double checked the Aqualung website and the parts for the APEKS Regulators should have been free. Shouldn't the LDS know this. If I call them and they give me a hard time I will no longer purchase from an LDS, I will shop at LeisurePro.

These are the charges:

108 O-ring $1.60
Tax NYC 8.375% $9.18

Total $118.78

Well, I will assume that the regulator was PROPERLY serviced and tested. I mean completely tested...not just a quick check of the IP and adjustment of the second stage orfices.

Remember, you can do things yourself and save the cost of labor from outsiders. You can fix your own dishwasher, or you can pay $85 per hour for a service call. You can paint your own house, or you can pay the $4000.00 labor to have it done. You can rebuild your own regulator, or you can pay a technician approximately $60 an hour to do it. Remember, many here do their own service and feel that paying ANY labor is a rip off.

The labor charge in New York City is apparently exactly the same as it is in Alabama. $60 labor is exactly what I charge. What troubles me is the parts cost. If you were ENTITLED to free parts, then you paid too much. If you wer not entitled to free parts, then you got the deal of a century.

First stage Apeks repair kits retail for $39.95. The dealer cost of those kits is now $22 plus shipping. Second stage kits retail for $19.00. The dealer cost of those kits is now $10.40. Your rebuild required one first stage kit and two second stage kits....retail value of $77.95. The dealer cost for the three kits would be $42.80. You paid a total of $43.00 for parts, plus an additional o-ring. The way I calculate it, your dealer made $0.20 on the purchase, inventory, opportunity cost, and incidential risk of that parts inventory. I think that is the path to riches. wow. Maybe this is why so many local dive stores can't make a go of things.

Another possibility exists, one that makes some financial sense (while being quite unethicial) , but I won't go into that.

Anyway, congrats on either a great deal or a rip off.

Phil Ellis

Not all LDS's will try to beat you up. Look around and find one that doesn't instead of going internet.

Thanks DA AQUAMASTER that is great information. According to Aqualung the parts should have been free, I am the original owner and all my equipment have always been carefully rinsed after each dive and soaked in warm water for about 1/2 hour. I do not know if they did a pre service flow. I told them how many dives I had, shouldn't they have been honest with me and tell me that I did not need a complete reg overhaul.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom