Full cave and Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MechDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
From a non-cave diver.

In reading another thread, a full cave certified diver was talking about taking an advanced nitrox class. As I would equate cave, and more so, full cave divers to be doing fairly deep, long exposure dives, I was surprised that adv nitrox style deco (50%) would not be required before the full cave. Seems like the cart before the horse thing?

Just curious how this is setup I guess.

Phil

Mech-

Most of the "commercial" and frequently dove caves in N Central Florida are less than 100' deep. These are the caves where almost all training occurs. There are a few systems and parts of systems that run significantly deeper. Most of the cave instructors out there dont even *require* the use of deco gas.

On another note- I PROMISE to get those pics out tonight!!

Some caves are not that deep, therefore you can get pretty far into them without the deco obligation. Check out http://www.gue.com/info/instruct.shtml
and look at the Mexico instructors. They are cave and fund's instructors, but no tech b/c its not always necessary.

M

edit: chickdiver beat me to it, but same thing.:)

chickdiver once bubbled...
Mech-

Most of the "commercial" and frequently dove caves in N Central Florida are less than 100' deep. These are the caves where almost all training occurs. There are a few systems and parts of systems that run significantly deeper. Most of the cave instructors out there dont even *require* the use of deco gas.

On another note- I PROMISE to get those pics out tonight!!

Guess I was thinking more like a deep wreck dive. Still seems like you could build up a pretty good deco obligation at 100' with a cave filled set of doubles.

Another one of those mysteries of life I guess :D

No problem on the pics Chick. I'll just assume you're making really really GOOD ones :wink:

And thanks also Speedster.

Phil

As far as I know the use of O2 for deco and required deco are fair game in an NACD cave class (the only one I have any experience with). At one time I think the only tech training available was cave and it covered about everything. The material covers deco proceedures (to some extent) however you may or may not need to do any real deco during the class and you may or may not use O2. Then there is the issue of wether or not you can buy the gas with the card you have. In cave country it seems anyone can buy anything but elsewhere I'm not sure what a cave card will get you.

So the question may be does full cave include the equivilant of "tech nitrox"?

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
As far as I know the use of O2 for deco and required deco are fair game in an NACD cave class (the only one I have any experience with). At one time I think the only tech training available was cave and it covered about everything. The material covers deco proceedures (to some extent) however you may or may not need to do any real deco during the class and you may or may not use O2. Then there is the issue of wether or not you can buy the gas with the card you have. In cave country it seems anyone can buy anything but elsewhere I'm not sure what a cave card will get you.

So the question may be does full cave include the equivilant of "tech nitrox"?

Good point Mike. I would have thought it would be more like my route, in that you would, by some means, already have adv nitrox before starting full cave, and that full would also include technical nitrox. I guess I'm trying to equate full cave to full trimix. That is apparently an oversimplestic comparison.

Phil

It is oversimplistic. My full -cave deco lecture consisted of how to read the navy deco tables. I already knew about deco diving, so it wasnt an issue for me, but most full cave instructors dont really cover this area.

Everyone in my cave class had at least some tech training so we spent alot of time talking about deco in caves specifically and deco in general. We didn't do much deco during the dives though.

MechDiver once bubbled...
Still seems like you could build up a pretty good deco obligation at 100' with a cave filled set of doubles.
Lets see, in the 'Ear blowing like a flag in the wind trying to figure out how to run a line in peaceful coexistance with the other three lines that are already in there, followed by the instructor trying to kill you.

No, even with a cave fill you don't get into very long deco :)

Roak

roakey once bubbled...

Lets see, in the 'Ear blowing like a flag in the wind trying to figure out how to run a line in peaceful coexistance with the other three lines that are already in there, followed by the instructor trying to kill you.Roak

And you people do this for FUN :confused: :confused:

I suppose cutting the other 3 lines to get them out of your way is not an option huh :upset:

Phil

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom