What is a good dive light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

george1098

Reaction score
Hi all
just wondering what a good dive light would be for somebasic night diving? I probably don't need anything crazy powerfull, just s basic good quality light that gives allot of bang for the buck. thanks!

A UK c8 light works well. only like $60 and is decently bright and it doesn't eat batteries.

There's plenty of nice lights out there, but I can recommend against Princeton Tec. I've tried 4, and all of them flooded on the first dives. I give up.

I dive with a UK 4SL and a UK 6SL on me all the time, not just at night. Both lights have been sturdy and (so far at least) give me enough light for the type of diving I have been doing.

I think that the best bang for the buck right now has to be UK SL4 series lights.
$20 for the incandescent version
$50 for the SL4 eLED version.

There is a pretty good discussion about lights in this
thread over on the ScubaToys forum.
I have a pretty lengthy post (#10) about lights and things
to consider when buying a light.

Here is a link to that thread:
ScubaToys Forum "Help me choose a dive light"

--- bill

I'd go for one of the new 3-watt eLED lights: very, very bright, long battery life and very small - compact enough to store in a pocket. They are also nearly unbreakable and would make a good backup should you get a bigger light later. For clear water night diving they are perfect.

Here's one review. And another. I have the Underwater Kinetics Q40 eLed, and its a great little light, and has a great price. I am also going to pick up a OMS vega or a Oxygcheq/Solus backup sometime soon, though they are more expensive. Remember - more is not aways better - I find my 21 watt HID can light too bright for night dives where you don't want to disturb (or fry..) the critters.

If you want something more powerfull, but smaller than a canister light. I would consider the diverite 300LED.

A stroll through the accessories/lights subforum here will also reveal 100's of other posts on what the 'best' light is.

Cheers,
Rohan.

George, the is a lights subsection in the accesories froum. Search a bit there and you'll find lots of usefull info. Also, you should describe the conditions in which you will be diving since this will influence the choice of lights for you.

Hope this helps!:coffee:

hey guys, thanks for the replies. I didn't look around too much at other forums to see if there was a more appropriate place to make this post, but as alwais i got more info than i needed. anyway, i am a coldwater diver up here in Nova Scotia Canada. the visibility is pretty good, but can get pretty murky. I would like something descent, but I don't need anything top of the line.

I'm very partial to the UK Light Cannon 100. It's not the cheapest light, but it's super bright, and the light is pure white.

If you decide to go that route, let me suggest buying a padded hardcase (I got a Docksil handgun case) that fits the light. Those bulbs are $70 to replace, and dropping it is a BAD thing.

Back
Top Bottom