Aspiring photographer questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bobyjimmie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey gang,

My wife is an aspiring photographer and shes getting a new SLR, so since I want to start taking underwater photographs so I can share what I see with her Im gettin her old camera. Its a Canon A95 powershot. I know Canon has a housing for it that I can get in the $169 range. I dont want to spend a holy fortune on gear but would like to take some nice pics (for what that camera can take of course). Any suggestions on anything would be great.

Do I NEED a strobe or can I start without one and take some ok pics? If I need a strobe are there some decent inexpensive ones that I can choose between for the camera? I am no avid photographer I am a true beginner and my gear should match my hand me down camera.

Thanks ahead of time for all the info.

Cool thanks!

Thanks for the link Clgsamson, so what I really noticed as far as the major differences between strobe and no strobe is color brilliance. Which means I can totally get away without one until I can afford one! Awesome.

Thanks for the link Clgsamson, so what I really noticed as far as the major differences between strobe and no strobe is color brilliance. Which means I can totally get away without one until I can afford one! Awesome.

you could hold off the strobe purchase. you just have to practice setting your custom white balance with and without flash.

It's quite possible to do some nice shots without a strobe. What you have to understand is the flash on your (any) camera is good to maybe 2 ft at best and even there it's pushing the limits of the light. Stick to close up shots macro to at most 3 ft and you should be able to take some nice photos. Also, go ahead and learn to use manual mode on the camera. Preset modes, even the UW ones don't do a good job. Eventully you will want a strobe. IMO it's best to shoot with the internal flash for a while and save your money for a better strobe rather than buy an inexpensive but less than ideal one.

It's quite possible to do some nice shots without a strobe. What you have to understand is the flash on your (any) camera is good to maybe 2 ft at best and even there it's pushing the limits of the light. Stick to close up shots macro to at most 3 ft and you should be able to take some nice photos. Also, go ahead and learn to use manual mode on the camera. Preset modes, even the UW ones don't do a good job. Eventully you will want a strobe. IMO it's best to shoot with the internal flash for a while and save your money for a better strobe rather than buy an inexpensive but less than ideal one.

excellent advise.........

I agree as well (currently a Canon A520 user). For one thing, it's best if you get used to the extra task loading of a camera without a strobe first, in my opinion. Adding the strobe means also adding a tray and arm, and the entire rig gets much bigger and bulkier. So take it in stages, especially if you're a newer diver (I still consider myself that as well, so I'm not trying to be patronizing).

Besides, if you buy a strobe right off the bat, usually you're buying a strobe for that camera. If you wait a while, you may 'get the photography bug' more and realize you plan on upgrading cameras, so your strobe purchase, if you make one, will be thinking ahead.

That said, I ended up adding a used Ikelite DS50 to my A520 setup, and am practicing with it, before I can afford to house my Olympus E330. The DS50 is probably underpowered for when I do use the E330, but I just couldn't see going all the way to a DS125 first and taking down $700 in strobe/arm attached to about $300 in camera and housing value combined. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom