Help I can't see!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LI Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I love taking uw photo's but I can't really see anything other than sillouettes in my cameras viewfinder. I can read my guages and computer and have a prescription dive mask. There seems to be a glare on the screen constantly. Will a black skirt mask solve this??? I'd hate to buy a mask and put in a prescription lense just to find no change.

I love taking uw photo's but I can't really see anything other than sillouettes in my cameras viewfinder. I can read my guages and computer and have a prescription dive mask. There seems to be a glare on the screen constantly. Will a black skirt mask solve this??? I'd hate to buy a mask and put in a prescription lense just to find no change.

what camera housing are you using? canon housings have this black rubber hood-like attachment which shields ambient light.

not sure how much a clear silicone mask affects your view. i only use black skirted ones.

Try borrowing a hood or rigging something like a hood to see if it helps. Using a hood can't hurt.

I would be very cautious about buying a prescription mask. Depending on your age and eye correction, a prescription mask may prevent you from reading your gauges underwater. My first prescription mask, I could read gauges on surface, not under water. In that case, I needed plain glass to read gauges. Two years later, I started buying bi-focals/ progressive glasses. As I got older, use a 2.5 magnifier press-on bought from Walgreens to read my gauges.

Hope this helps - Tom

If it's your eyes, I started wearing monocular contacts for diving only. Strong lens in my left eye for reading gauges and seeing camera screen, weaker in right eye for distance. Kind of throws off your depth perception, but I'm seeing a lot more life underwater and getting better focus on my shots.

what camera housing are you using? canon housings have this black rubber hood-like attachment which shields ambient light.

not sure how much a clear silicone mask affects your view. i only use black skirted ones.

It's a sea life dc600.

It's a sea life dc600.

i'm guessing it's glare of ambient light that's causing you problems. happens to me when i remove the my housing's lcd hood. does this happen when you shoot against sunlight (shooting up)?

How old are you??.........cuz if you're over 40, 'old sight' may be creeping up on you......

If it's your eyes, I started wearing monocular contacts for diving only. Strong lens in my left eye for reading gauges and seeing camera screen, weaker in right eye for distance. Kind of throws off your depth perception, but I'm seeing a lot more life underwater and getting better focus on my shots.

You are describing what us eye doctors call monovision, dominant eye with distant CTL Rx, nondominant eye for near.........dates gack to the middle 60's sometimes called the LBJ 'bifocal'( he was the 1st prominent person to use this system)........About half of the population can adapt to this way of seeing.........

That's why old geezers like me use autofocus. I can see close up well enough to compose a scene, but not well enough to do a decent job of focussing.

This is with a lens for nearsightedness in the upper section of my mask, and plain glass in the bottom of the mask --- my +2 diopter add for closeup vision just about cancels out the -1.75 spherical diopter of my distance correction.

Sorry guy's I guess I did not make clear that my masks have a distance correction in the top 2/3 of the lenses and a reading correction in the bottom third of the lenses already.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom