Any suggestions on storing gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aubie85

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys,
I am a newbie and I just received my first set of gear :D
Sherwood Solaris Women's Warm Ensemble W/Wetsuit,Bag Plus - Online SCUBA Gear

I live in the midwest and I'm not ready yet to brave cold water, so now it is time to put it away until March when I go to Cozumel. The big question now is how do I store my gear? :confused:

I also have some other considerations:
-Is storage in the basement(climate controlled) okay? :confused:
-Can I keep all of my gear in a large plastic Rubbermaid bin(assuming my gear is dry and clean), or should there be adequate ventilation? :confused:

Thanks guys, I am sure this is a concern for many new divers or divers who have recently purchased gear for the first time. As I wait for responses, I will be basking in the scent 'new scuba gear'. (That should be a car air freshener scent!)
Neoprene and rubber, ooooooh yeaaaah!
Take care!
Aubrey:blinking:

There are many ways you can store your gear and keep it safe. Your basement should be fine. Keep it out of direct sunlight. It's generally best to hang your wetsuit if you can, but if not try to store it rolled up. That will prevent creases from forming in the neoprene.

Once I've cleaned and hung my gear to dry, I keep it in a large rubbermaid bucket. I have a bit of a pest problem where I live, so I keep a couple of bungies across it and it seems to work great! Just be sure that everything is dry so you don't get any mold or mildew.

Since when is 68 degree water cold? The springs in Florida are only a couple degrees warmer :wink: You've still got another month before the water at Gilboa gets into the 50's and even that isn't bad. March and April are when the water in the Midwest is FREAKING cold :wink: People were diving to 30 feet at Gilboa without hoods and gloves last weekend. Break that stuff out for a quick dive!
Ber :lilbunny:

Since when is 68 degree water cold? The springs in Florida are only a couple degrees warmer :wink: You've still got another month before the water at Gilboa gets into the 50's and even that isn't bad. March and April are when the water in the Midwest is FREAKING cold :wink: People were diving to 30 feet at Gilboa without hoods and gloves last weekend. Break that stuff out for a quick dive!

Perhaps I will....

Perhaps I will....

I'll be at Gilboa Nov 17-18 with students doing check-out dives. I have a 10x10 tent with heater and everyone brings food to share plus I either have hot chocolate or hot soup available. You're welcome to come and hang out/dive with us, I've usually got an extra diver or two around if you don't have a buddy. You KNOW you want to get that new gear wet :eyebrow:

This is the best time of year to dive... no crowds, no sweating doing the predive and the water is still warm(ish). As for storing gear, make 110% sure it is completely bone dry and don't cram it into too small a box. Booty's and soft weight sometimes retain some moisture and you really don't want to fight mold next spring.

Since 72 degrees is---68 is freezing--to me....I guess everything's relative......actually my temps are 74 & up......GEAUX TIGERS.........

I'll be at Gilboa Nov 17-18 with students doing check-out dives. I have a 10x10 tent with heater and everyone brings food to share plus I either have hot chocolate or hot soup available. You're welcome to come and hang out/dive with us, I've usually got an extra diver or two around if you don't have a buddy. You KNOW you want to get that new gear wet :eyebrow:

That sounds awesome! :D I'll run it by the fiance. I'm not sure how well that'll go because my professors usually like to pack it on us the week before Thanksgiving break....If I don't see you there I hope you have a great time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom