Sea Life Camera experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WahooWolfe

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a friend that is going on a trip to the Great Barrier reef and is considering purchasing a SeaLife camera. Particularly, he is looking at the DC600 or the reef master series camera. Does anyone have any experience whether it's good or bad that you can provide that may make his decision any easier? Do you have a recommendation for a different camera?

Your help and advise is appreciated!

Wahoo

I'm not a huge SeaLife fan. Some like them and may chime in. A quick search here will also lead you to some recent threads that you may find helpful.

As for a suggestion - hit the Sticky at the top of the forum (or follow the Pink Link in my signature) - as there are a whole range of options listed including links to images and discussions about specific models.

I love the Canon A series cameras and it's extra nice coz they are in all price brackets it seems. The new Canon G9 is loved by the people who have it - there's a great thread in the Canon Corner (also linked in the Sticky from G9) Fuji has a couple of options for both full manual control (a bit older now, but they still work just fine!) and true point & shoots. Olympus has the old faithful 5050 and more recent models; I'm not a fan of their new shockproof/waterproof range for uw photography, but they are fun at the beach.

Have a look around and let us know some more details like budget, needs, diving skills/experience, and the like so we can help narrow the search, if possible.

Hi Wahoo

I have used the predecessor, the DC500 with the Sealife Digital Flash, for 2 years and were quite happy with that camera/strobe combination. The picture quality is good and the options are sufficient in most situations. I found the shutter delay a problem, although according to Sealife you can work in "shark mode", which means that you freeze the focus and exposure settings and then you can shoot immediately. But most of the time the fish don't know so they are at a different distance when you are ready to shoot, so this doesn't really work. Another negative thing is the recycle time of the strobe. This takes too long, so that you are unable to quickly take a second shot. And extreme macro is not possible with this camera. But apart from that (I had a Nikonos V before so I know what is possible) it is a good camera for a very good price. Almost all the pictures on my website - Welcome to the Curacao Diving Paradise - Curacao Diving Paradise - are made with this camera.
I just sold this camera for an upgrade to the new Sea and Sea DX-1G. That camera is in an entirely different class. It has as many options as a good DSLR in a compact format. But also financially it is in a completely different class.
So it depends on what your friend is looking for. If he is an experienced photographer who wants the same results under water then this camera is probably not what he is looking for. If he wants a camera that is able to get (technically automatically) good shots in most situations then this is a good choice. If he outgrows this camera he really knows what he wants as his/hers next camera.

Regards

John

Hi Wahoo

I have used the predecessor, the DC500 with the Sealife Digital Flash, for 2 years and were quite happy with that camera/strobe combination. The picture quality is good and the options are sufficient in most situations. I found the shutter delay a problem, although according to Sealife you can work in "shark mode", which means that you freeze the focus and exposure settings and then you can shoot immediately. But most of the time the fish don't know so they are at a different distance when you are ready to shoot, so this doesn't really work. Another negative thing is the recycle time of the strobe. This takes too long, so that you are unable to quickly take a second shot. And extreme macro is not possible with this camera. But apart from that (I had a Nikonos V before so I know what is possible) it is a good camera for a very good price. Almost all the pictures on my website - Welcome to the Curacao Diving Paradise - Curacao Diving Paradise - are made with this camera.
I just sold this camera for an upgrade to the new Sea and Sea DX-1G. That camera is in an entirely different class. It has as many options as a good DSLR in a compact format. But also financially it is in a completely different class.
So it depends on what your friend is looking for. If he is an experienced photographer who wants the same results under water then this camera is probably not what he is looking for. If he wants a camera that is able to get (technically automatically) good shots in most situations then this is a good choice. If he outgrows this camera he really knows what he wants as his/hers next camera.

Regards

John

I'd like to comment on what John has said. Everything he said is true. It's not such a bad entry level outfit. I don't use one, but dive with several people who use them. I've have seen several flood, also. Sealife has been very good with warranty, replacing the ones that have flooded. I'm not trying to scare anybody away from them, however. In every case it's been the fault of the operator that caused the flooding.

Take this into consideration. Most people who buy this type of camera/strobe are beginners looking for an inexpensive outfit just to take pictures. For this it does a good job. But being new to underwater photography some forget to pay attention to details. It is imperative to clean the O-ring, groove and mating surface every time the camera is opened. It takes but one hair or grain of sand to keep the O-ring from sealing. Not only in this particular camera, but every one.

Just thought I'd point out this little human flaw.

On another note, it might be a good idea to look around some more. It doesn't hurt. Idid when I put my rig together. I got an Olympus SP350 and Olympus PT030 housing and Sealife 960 digital strobe for less money than the Sealife DC500, at that time. Now, here I am a year later wishing I had, and probably will get a better strobe.
Just something else to think about.

My wife says I have to go the video route now. That means a need a new Sony HC7camcorder to fit my new Seatool HC7 housing. Then with lights (eventually) it's going to mean about $5000. Man, I hate that woman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I'll have to tote something else along on my dive trips.

For what it's worth, if entry level is all that's in the cards you could take a look at the new video unit put out by Bonica. Snapper I think it's called. Sells for something in the $700 range. I don't have any experience with it, but maybe someone could give you some info on it. Just don't come blaming when the bug bites harder.

Barry

I bought a SeaLife reefmaster to take some underwater shots on a recent trip, and I was pleased with the results.

It works very well without the strobe and good viz up to ~30 feet. Below that you will want a strobe.

As others have mentioned, it's an entry level camera, but I have seen some amazing shots taken specially with the strobe and the DC5/600 and reef master.

Here are some shots taken with my reefmaster:

This was taken in very clear shallow water
PICT00502.JPG

This was in about 30 feet with very good viz as well.
PICT00095.JPG

This is at 70 feet with over 100' of viz no strobe

PICT0146.JPG

I hope this helps!
Wys.

I've owned a DC500 for about 2 years. (Two trips) I like it and it takes decent shots!! I'd post them like the others but I can't fgure out how. Can anyone tell me how or direct me to where I can find out? Please!

Regards,
Steve

I have had a DC600 since December. I love it for an amateur like myself. I have used it also a lot outside the housing and above the water. Here is my album here on scubaboard and most are taken with the DC 600 and only the internal flash. With the internal flash in the cavern at Ginnie Springs you will notice a black semi circle in the lower left corner, this is where the housing blocks the internal flash. On a trip to the Bahamas I did have a SD memory card go bad, but htat has nothing to do with the camera.

Click here http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/71160

Now that I've had some more time to think I do know what I consider to be a major drawback to the DC500. It eats batteries like a kid on Halloween night. Usually the battery will last only one dive. Better have a spare battery at about $30 and it's a dedicated battery. You can only get it from Sealife.

I own a DC500 + digital strobe for 2 years now and overall its a decent camera. If you just want a PnS camera with a digital strobe for under a thousand, the DC600 will fit your needs. However, there are some drawbacks with the camera, for one, as bfisher mentioned, the battery life only lasts 1 dive. Another drawback, you can't set the aperture and shutter speeds, although, there are several presets made for you.

Another thing I'd like to mention is Sealife's excellent customer service. One time I plugged my camera using a wrong adapter and basically fried it. I sent it back to Sealife and Sealife sent me a brand new DC500 at no extra cost. Then this summer while I was in Cancun, the camera kept getting a focus error and it locked up on me (I'm going to leave the expletives out of this post), Sealife sent me a refurbished DC500 at no extra cost and it didn't matter if the warranty has expired or not. They would've sent me a brand new DC500 if it was still in production. I thought this was pretty cool.

Sometime next year, I'm going to upgrade my camera to Canon G9 + Ikelite housing and strobe.

Here's a sample pic from my DC500 with a strobe

I've owned a DC500 for about 2 years. (Two trips) I like it and it takes decent shots!! I'd post them like the others but I can't fgure out how. Can anyone tell me how or direct me to where I can find out? Please!

Regards,
Steve

There are threads about posting photos on SB....here is one(click link) and do an above search to probably find others(basically find the little yellow mountain thingy in the top row of icon....good luck)..............

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/site-support/186806-stupid-stupid-stupid-question.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom