New Point and Shoot!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mayor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After many years of using large cameras I wanted to have a camera that was compact and easy to use for diving. Also could fit in my pocket. Sick of all the extra gear so after talking my self out of a Olympus SW770 with a underwater housing. I just ordered a Sony DSC-W90 with a WPK-WB housing. CNET has always done right by me and rated this Sony top of the pile in that price range.

Looking to get a small strobe for this unit. Does anyone use this camera or have any ideas on this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Looks like I need a slave strobe for this camera as it does not have any ports. Does any one use a small strobe to work with the flash on a point and shoot camera? Any information would be helpfull. I did a search and found some problems with preflash on other units.

Thanks I will look into them. After reading some more info as on land white balance is very important. Do you find the auto focus to be a problem. Looks like I do not have a manual setting but do not have the camera yet (on its way).

After many years of using large cameras I wanted to have a camera that was compact and easy to use for diving. Also could fit in my pocket. Sick of all the extra gear so after talking my self out of a Olympus SW770 with a underwater housing. I just ordered a Sony DSC-W90 with a WPK-WB housing. CNET has always done right by me and rated this Sony top of the pile in that price range.

Looking to get a small strobe for this unit. Does anyone use this camera or have any ideas on this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Be careful with some Sony P&S's......I have no idea what features this camera has, but some 'nice' Sony's are very bad for UW.......Some here bought some & are very disappointed..........good luck......

No hotshoe as you say, but you could use the camera with pretty much any optically coupled strobe. This could be via fiber optics or via an EV-controller type setup like Ikelite uses. But one warning: adding an external strobe means an arm and a tray/handle, which brings the 'compact' camera right back up into the bulky category. My little Canon A520 is dwarfed by my tray, arm, and Ikelite DS50 which is one of the smaller strobes out there! Even if you go with a really small Sea-n-Sea integrated strobe/arm/tray type combo, it's still much larger than the camera.

I can't tell for sure from the pictures, but it looks like the housing has a standard metal plate on the bottom for mounting to tripods etc, which would be used to mount to a tray. You could just drill a little hole in the diffuser or for that matter probably just 'tape' the fiberoptic cable for a strobe to it, while covering the rest of the diffuser with black tape so you don't get the backscatter issue from the internal strobe right next to the lens. (If using an EV controller, just make sure the tape lets some side leakage out and it'll be picked up.)

I don't know about preflash, but assume that since the camera doesn't have a manual setting it is doing a preflash. You can get by without full manual, assuming you also have an 'exposure correction' option on either the aperture or timing priority mode. I'd for example in aperture priority set a reasonable aperture size between 5 - 7, and then turn the exposure compensation DOWN until you get a good darkish blue / black background in the water, then use the strobe power settings to control how much brightness you have of the near subject. Ditto in timing priority - set a reasonably quick exposure time that won't cause hand-shake focus issues like 1/125th or less, and dial down the exposure adjustment so it doesn't just go and open the aperture full on and give you too shallow a depth of field. Ditto with using the strobe for the actual subject lighting. You will want to figure out if you can do white balance 'manual settings' by shooting something white though, since the camera doesn't have RAW storage. But worst comes to worst you can set it for 'cloudy' which with an external strobe usually isn't that far off the mark, especially with a smaller strobe that's going to fade pretty quickly.

BTW, I'm a pure noob myself, so take all the above with a grain (block) of sea-salt! :)

No hotshoe as you say, but you could use the camera with pretty much any optically coupled strobe. This could be via fiber optics or via an EV-controller type setup like Ikelite uses. But one warning: adding an external strobe means an arm and a tray/handle, which brings the 'compact' camera right back up into the bulky category. My little Canon A520 is dwarfed by my tray, arm, and Ikelite DS50 which is one of the smaller strobes out there! Even if you go with a really small Sea-n-Sea integrated strobe/arm/tray type combo, it's still much larger than the camera.

I can't tell for sure from the pictures, but it looks like the housing has a standard metal plate on the bottom for mounting to tripods etc, which would be used to mount to a tray. You could just drill a little hole in the diffuser or for that matter probably just 'tape' the fiberoptic cable for a strobe to it, while covering the rest of the diffuser with black tape so you don't get the backscatter issue from the internal strobe right next to the lens. (If using an EV controller, just make sure the tape lets some side leakage out and it'll be picked up.)

I don't know about preflash, but assume that since the camera doesn't have a manual setting it is doing a preflash. You can get by without full manual, assuming you also have an 'exposure correction' option on either the aperture or timing priority mode. I'd for example in aperture priority set a reasonable aperture size between 5 - 7, and then turn the exposure compensation DOWN until you get a good darkish blue / black background in the water, then use the strobe power settings to control how much brightness you have of the near subject. Ditto in timing priority - set a reasonably quick exposure time that won't cause hand-shake focus issues like 1/125th or less, and dial down the exposure adjustment so it doesn't just go and open the aperture full on and give you too shallow a depth of field. Ditto with using the strobe for the actual subject lighting. You will want to figure out if you can do white balance 'manual settings' by shooting something white though, since the camera doesn't have RAW storage. But worst comes to worst you can set it for 'cloudy' which with an external strobe usually isn't that far off the mark, especially with a smaller strobe that's going to fade pretty quickly.

BTW, I'm a pure noob myself, so take all the above with a grain (block) of sea-salt! :)

Wooooo!!! Thanks for the information. Looks like the strobe will make the camera 3 times it's size. I wanted to test it out a little in the water this weekend but I have my regs in the shop. Looks like I will learn as I go but thanks. Maybe I can make a custom arm thats 1/2 the size of what's out in the market. Is their a ideal distance you want to be away form the camera. I would thing 6in might be enough

I really love the camera I have now Sony DSC 717 but the housings were so much money. i hope the new camera is half as nice as my 717. :D

Mayor agree with all the above advice and by all means try it without an external strobe first you may be pleasantly surprised. I am a long time UW Sony user and a voice in the wilderness on this. They do have their disadvantages (older ones were shifted green UW) but the newer ones seem to be much better but not perfect.

Far and away their biggest advantage is the size. I use a P150 and it is tiny, topside it fits in a pants pocket, UW in a BCD pocket for getting in and out and under a strap while UW.

My rules for the Sony are simple get close, use the flash. If you break either rule you will be disappointed. For massive amounts of examples go to my web page (below) and look at some of the newer shots, all of those were with a Sonp DSC-P150 internal flash. The earlier ones were with a DSC-P10.

Cecil & Sue's Home Page

I really want to get a small strobe if I can before I go on my trip in November. Looks like I found one that will work and not make the camera to large. I found a nice write up on HOME - Scuba Diving Magazine but can not link it for some reason. Also can not link the strobe information from the site.

Back
Top Bottom