Red sea discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ofleisher

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,
Just a thought, as we all dive the red sea recently. Part of us very often and in different parts of this amazing sea let try to highlight some interesting things or feelings we had after the summer.

For example mainly locals or tourists that return every year can find type of fishes that disappear, or a newborn types etc.

My personal 2 interesting thoughts (if I can compare them to previous years) are:

1.Visibility – was less this summer compare to years before I can only describe the feeling like, the water was more "milky". (is It only my age ? :eyebrow:)
2.Temperature – based on my computer I dove at 28-29C this summer and I can not recall such a Temp. before (even not my log book) I can remember around 26C… is it the global warming ?

What are your thoughts about the red sea this summer (by the way I'm talking the gulf from Eilat all the way south to Ras Muhammad)

* There is no hidden research or business interest in this post :no

:coffee: thanks & regards

Oren

Oren,
Thank you for your thoughts; very intersting :)

Yes visibility is sometimes lower because we're experiencing some "strange back-forth" waves that raise the sand bottom. That's why you feel the water is milky. However, sometimes you can still get the old good visibility, even better. It's both time and site dependent.

Yes of course the water was warmer this summer. Good notice.

I was at Red Sea Diving Safari (Nakari - 80km south of Marsa Alam) in the first week of Oct. Water was consistently 28C every day. Visibility was generally in the 30m range on off-shore dives.

First time diving in the red sea - loved every minute of it.

Attachments

• Beautiful-contrasts.jpg
    Beautiful-contrasts.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 27
Sorry - I didn't realize you guys werre talking about the northern Red Sea when I first made this post.

Regardless - I loved the vibe of Nakari - isolated and so quiet. Hope to get back soon.

-Chris

We didn't. We were talking about changes and irregularities that we have noticed diving the Red Sea, north or south. So you are welcome to contribute.

BTW. Nakari is also situated in the northern Red Sea. Djibouti and Yemen are in the south.

/c

So thanks all, anything else ?
By the way RSS, when talking about milky water - not because of the sand even in the "big blue".

Have you notice to special fishes new types etc ?

Thanks all

By the way RSS, when talking about milky water - not because of the sand even in the "big blue".
Milky water happens frequently in Ras Mohamed during January. I'm not sure about the reason but some people say it's the mating season of soft corals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom