Mk5 part

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pactrop

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I am looking for a MK5 retainer swivel (turret bolt). My dealer says they don't make them any more.

Is this true?

Is there a substitute part I can use?

Sp no longer makes them and they are different than the part used on the Mk 20 and 25.

Option 2 would be to find a dealer that still has one in stock, either new old stock or used in serviceable condition. More recent Sp dealers will not have old parts sitting around, but dealers who have been around for 20-30 years will most likely either have some Mk V parts still sitting around (they were made through the mid to 1980's and would have been commonly seen for annual service and upgrades into the mid to late 1990's) either on the shelf or in a box of old regulators retained for parts donation.

Off the top of my head,ahe Skin and Scuba in Pierre SD is one possibility. They changed owners a couple years ago, but the shop itself has been around since the early 1970's as an SP dealer and Tom, the old owner, was known for servicing and still having parts for older SP regs. Their number is 605 224-4154. They will probably not send you one unless you are a tech, but they would send one to your shop to install. The swivel retainer nut on the Mk 5 is a pain to change anyway as you have to modify a socket to properly torque it.

Option 3 be to find a used Mk V on ebay - either the original Sp version or one of the many clones sold by Tusa, Oceanic, and several other companies over the years. The Mk 5 is one of the most cloned regs in history.

They will also show up on ebay occasionally in lots of mixed parts. I picked up a couple used ones a few months ago. They look to be OK but because of their sensetivity to overtorquing, I believe some shops used to renew them regularly.

Hi Pactrop,

Earlier this year we had a long discussion on this retainer not only for the MK V but for the MK X as well. In that thread you might find some helpful info posted by DA, AWAP, Oxyhacker, Pescador775 and LuisH and a few others. Luis was working on acquiring a suitable replacement for a few of his MK V regs. You might want to PM him, however was going on vacation last time I hear from him.

DA pointed out that the MK V has been cloned by several other makers, perhaps a shop that has a clone will also have the turret bolt you need.

Here is a link to the thread I mentioned earlier.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/173774-complete-1st-stage-failure-scubapro-mk5.html

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find out.

couv

Edit: I just had a quick read thru of that thread and per DA ''The TUSA version of the MK 5 was the TR-400 Imprex."

Thanks for all the help.

Aquamaster I do have an old oceanic clone laying around. Do you know for sure that the turret bolts are exactly the same and interchangeable?

Couv thanks for the link. very good info.

I know for sure on the TUSA clone as the part numbers are cross matched with SP part numbers - but I have never been able to check re: oceanic.

I have an Oceanic MkV clone and my shop used the TR400's for rental regs for years. I was rebuilding mine at the shop one day and my instructor was tearing down a TR400, and I was examining them both and as far as I could tell they were absolutely identical. My Oceanic even uses a SP DIN fitting when I wanted to swap it from Yoke.

I have an Oceanic MkV clone and my shop used the TR400's for rental regs for years. I was rebuilding mine at the shop one day and my instructor was tearing down a TR400, and I was examining them both and as far as I could tell they were absolutely identical. My Oceanic even uses a SP DIN fitting when I wanted to swap it from Yoke.

Jimmer,

What model Oceanic 1st stage is a MK V clone?

couv

It's an old one, I don't think any of the current ones are "clones" so to speak. But I can tell you the one I have is absolutely identical to the Tusa TR400 Imprex. They even have an old tired SP MK5 with an all metal second stage in the store for display, that as far as I can tell, is identical to my Oceanic and the Tusa's.

It's an old one, I don't think any of the current ones are "clones" so to speak. But I can tell you the one I have is absolutely identical to the Tusa TR400 Imprex. They even have an old tired SP MK5 with an all metal second stage in the store for display, that as far as I can tell, is identical to my Oceanic and the Tusa's.

Thanks Jimmer,

I was hoping you knew the model name/number of the Oceanic so we could have one more possible source for parts. Oceanic might still support their clone.

couv

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom