Reg mouthpiece causing pain...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishdelasol

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I tried to search my issue but didn't come up with much (I probably don't know the proper terms to search...).

Ok, when I dive using my Titan LX, the area just behind my teeth near the roof of my mouth hurts due to the pressure from the mouthpiece on my reg. This also happened using the Legend in my OW class and since they have the same mouthpiece I realize that it is what causes my pain. I don't have any jaw fatigue that some of the other posts discuss.

My question: Is there some type of replacement mouthpiece that I can put on my Titan LX? I like how the Atomic mouthpiece on my octo just fits in between my teeth and there is no upper part to it. Any thoughts or suggestions?

SeaCure will have one to fit your regulator. You get it into hot water then bite down for a custom molded fit. Most shops carry this item. You can aways trim offensive excess.

Are you sure that your hose is the correct length? The wrong length or stress from a cylinder worn very low can also be stressful.

There are also some much more conservative mouthpieces. I like the big honkin Wisdom that came on our Sherwoods. My wife is much more comfortable with a smaller silicone after market item. Shop around options abound.

Pete

Aqualung regs typically come with their "comfobite" mouthpiece, which has a bridge connecting the two bite tabs which will generally press on the roof of the mouth behind the front teeth. Like any specialty mouthpiece, some people love it some hate it. I hate it. Any generic mouthpiece is better than a comfobite if, like me, the bridge causes discomfort.

SeaCure will have one to fit your regulator. You get it into hot water then bite down for a custom molded fit. Most shops carry this item. You can aways trim offensive excess.

Are you sure that your hose is the correct length? The wrong length or stress from a cylinder worn very low can also be stressful.

There are also some much more conservative mouthpieces. I like the big honkin Wisdom that came on our Sherwoods. My wife is much more comfortable with a smaller silicone after market item. Shop around options abound.

Pete

I don't think there is a hose issue because I don't feel a pull like it is too short...if that is what you mean. The SeaCure looks interesting and I will have to look into that.

Aqualung regs typically come with their "comfobite" mouthpiece, which has a bridge connecting the two bite tabs which will generally press on the roof of the mouth behind the front teeth. Like any specialty mouthpiece, some people love it some hate it. I hate it. Any generic mouthpiece is better than a comfobite if, like me, the bridge causes discomfort.

Yes! That bridge thing kills me! My husband says it doesn't bother him one bit...LOL. I am glad to hear someone else has a similar issue. I love SB for this exact reason. :heart:

I am a Sea Cure user and LOVE it! Make sure to cut the ends down far though, as your smaller mouthed buddy may gag/choke on them. Also make sure to not bite down very far, if that is the way you decide to go.

I also like the sea cure mouthpieces. They have a relatively new one, called the "sport" model, that has no hard plastic ring around the mounting lip. This has alowed me to put a sea cure on my beloved old metal case SP, which has a more oval shaped mouthpiece flange.

Some people have had success with turning the comfobite mouthpiece upside-down..I have never tried it, and its not designed to be used this way, but some reviewers a few years back one of the UK dive mags did this after being a bit disappointed with the 'regular' way and they liked it.

I love the Seacure as well, but one thing I'll suggest, is just get an exacto knife and cut off the bridge. I know a lot of guys that did that on their Apeks regs, that also come with the comfobite. Barring that just buy a generic mouthpiece. The mouthpiece is by far the easiest and cheapest thing to change about a regulator.

My question: Is there some type of replacement mouthpiece that I can put on my Titan LX? I like how the Atomic mouthpiece on my octo just fits in between my teeth and there is no upper part to it. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I use the Atomic mouthpiece on my AquaLung Legend regs (instead of the AquaLung "comfobite" mouthpiece) and they work just fine.

Back
Top Bottom