Catching lobsters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hunt alot of lobsters on the Florida East coast. There are 3 keys to catching alot of bugs. 1. cover alot of area, 2. Work quickly on the bug so you can move along, 3. Don't hunt where others have already been.

To learn how to work quickly on the bug, you need to watch others who are hunting and copy their techniques. Each bug is different, so you can't just say "Always tickle from the right side", or loopers are the best, or clear plastic tickle sticks can't be seen. Each set of conditions will require a different technique.

As an example I pull about half of my bugs out by hand if there is a reasonable current. If current is 3 knots or more, that goes up to 100% are hand pulls. But you can get bit by eels or other things, so be careful. I also use an Oceanus green looper, but a tickle stick can be even better.

Since you are just starting out, I can offer you these beginning tips.

* Start with a Tickle stick and net instead of a looper. You'll 'Keep' more bugs when just starting out. New divers using a looper tend to back up bugs into the hole more often.

* Try to go out with divers & charters that cater to hunters so you can watch different hunters and see how they do it. MissConduct out of Pompano is a good small boat that will help you.

* Buy the VHS called Tail Tamer, available at most FL dive shops (or Amazon). You may even find it at the library. It's a great video that you can watch several times to see how he catches bugs.

When you do go hunting remember these 4 things.

1. Tickle slowly, let the bug focus on you and your bubbles, not the tickle stick

2. Work your own line and your own bug, don't follow someone else since they will catch the bug before you will. Also 2 sets of bubbles will just spook a bug, so don't help a buddy catch a bug.

3. Walk the bug out of the hole. When you get good, you should be able to walk them all over the reef without spooking them.

4. Never let the bug see the net. Put the net behind the bug's tail and slowly walk him into it.

Best of luck to you and above all, watch your air gauge. No bug is worth your life.

DSC00049.jpg

DSC00337.sized.jpg

Excellant advice.
Works basically same way in Keys, except we only use "tickle sticks". I personally use my speargun and catch them by hand, when trying to get a couple to go along with the fish we have shot.
As you've said paitence, practice = success

The trick is to let the lobster catch you!
pose.jpg

That and covering more ground. Don't hesitate to wait for that perfect time. Just go for it as soon as you see one. I caught the smaller one (5.25 lbs) of the two in the picture. The other was my friend Darrell (7.5 lbs! :11:)

These guys are messing with you- The secret is to get a good lobster whistle, go down to your LDS and ask for one.

I just stumbled upon this thread and glad that I did. I hope to get into some lobster soon also. Thanks for the tips and pics. Looks like you "killed em" in this pic.... Was the viz good or not so and how's the lobstering pressure in that area where you got em?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom