Editing software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

walkerl

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone out there have any experience with the editing program GIMP? I'm a little strapped for cash (having recently bought a complete set of gear along with a strobe and arm) so opted for the free download vs paying for Photoshop. So, is anyone familiar with this program or had good results with it or should I just save up for Photoshop?

Thanks and aloha,
Walker

You could always just start off with Photoshop Elements. As a beginner it will do just about everything you need at a fraction of the price of full blown Photoshop.

The only thing that Photoshop Elements really lacks is curves. This link gives details of a free plug-in for Photoshop Elements that gives you curves:

Curves for Photoshop Elements 4 and Elements 5 - Photo Tips @ Earthbound Light

Picasa is free. It has some editing features. Picasa

Hi,

The GIMP is ok. So is Paint.Net
They're free. But as with any of these programs, you need to get used to them. It takes a while, before you're really comfortable with them.
Pick one. I think The GIMP is the most feature rich.

Melle

Gimp is a great program once you get used to its interface (everything is on right click or its main screen)...

Don't forget to check its web site for plugins, scripts and extras... (also free)
btw. I believe 2.4 was released recently....

I use ufraw plugin for RAW conversion....

Gimp is a very good program. With some work, you can easily do almost anything in it. It's not so great for HDR work, but it's not half bad. For a simple colour balance, contrast, brightness, crop, clone, border and watermark, it'll do you just fine!

Since when is Paintshop Pro free? It was originally published by JASC software, and had a free TRIAL but was definitely sold. I think the first copy I bought was version 6 or something for about $60 several years ago. Then COREL bought out JASC and has been (slowly, and some would argue less skillfully) updating it. They just released PaintShop Pro Photo X2 (12).

I currently have Paintshop Pro XI (11) and got it for about $20 after rebates from Fry's. I use the Olympus Master software that is a free download from Olympus for my camera to do the RAW conversion to a TIFF, then can do additional postprocessing in PSP if I think necessary. Or for the JPGs from my current A520, just go straight to PSP.

GIMP is a fully featured image editor and graphics program. I doubt there's much that Photoshop can do, that Gimp can't, and for any photo editing, it's certainly more than good enough. The only grief I have with the Gimp is, that it clutters the desktop and taskbar up some, but otherwise it's a fine program.

GIMP is a fully featured image editor and graphics program. I doubt there's much that Photoshop can do, that Gimp can't, and for any photo editing, it's certainly more than good enough.
Agreed 100%!! The GIMP was designed my linux heads as an open source alternative to photoshop for Linux and was eventually ported into windows. It was made with the intention of being able to do everything that photoshiop can do, but without a pricetag atached. IIRC you can even get it to run many photoshop plugins.
The only grief I have with the Gimp is, that it clutters the desktop and taskbar up some, but otherwise it's a fine program.
That's a matter of taste since the GIMP opens the different dialogs in separate windows. Once you adjust to the way it works it really isn't a problem, at least I've never had a problem with it. YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom