Some from Bunaken and Lembeh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gudge

Contributor
Reaction score
I did a trip to NE Sulawesi in September.

The first couple of days on the trip were spent diving in the Bunaken Marine Park. Having done two previous trips dedicated to this area where I concentrated mainly on macro work I decided to use only my Sigma 17-70 macro for all the dives there (plenty of time for dedicated macro photography when we got to Lembeh). I'm happy with the results which range from CFWA to macro. Here are some of my favourites from Bunaken:

Bun_Sep07-36.jpg

Bun_Sep07-52.jpg

Bun_Sep07-32.jpg

Bun_Sep07-22.jpg

Bun_Sep07-46.jpg

Once we got to Lembeh it was macro all the way with my 100 macro lens, here's some of my favourites from Lembeh:

_mg_6426-Edit.jpg

_mg_6775-Edit.jpg

_mg_7013-Edit-1.jpg

_mg_7103-Edit.jpg

_mg_7309-Edit-1.jpg

_mg_7135-Edit-3.jpg

You can see all my favourite shots and a bunch by my wife Mary here:

NE Sulawesi - Sep 07

Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Gudge, nice photos both macro and WA. The fifth photo from the top, is it shot in ambient light only? Lighting is very smooth both closer to the lens and farther away. Very nice WA shot. It seems it was very sunny that day. It looks like you can see the blue skies right through.

What is the name of that fish with long dorsal fin looking like a jackknife fish you can see in Atlantic?

I took a trip to Sulawesi in March 2006 with Aggressor, but we mostly covered Lembeh and Bangkka island. Lots of fun. We did not make it to Bunaken on the same trip, although I heard a lot of good things about the island. I'll try to make it there some day. At that time I did not have a DSLR yet. I got it only by Thailand & Burma trip. Thank you for your advice back then. It did really help a lot. I'll post some pictures soon.
I'll put just one fisheye WA here from Similans. God, I miss that dive :)

Safe Diving,
Denis

Similans_-_Coral_reef.jpg

The fifth photo from the top, is it shot in ambient light only? Lighting is very smooth both closer to the lens and farther away. Very nice WA shot. It seems it was very sunny that day. It looks like you can see the blue skies right through.
Combination of ambient light and strobe, but mostly ambient. The shot was taken at only 10 feet deep so there was plenty of ambient light available.

What is the name of that fish with long dorsal fin looking like a jackknife fish you can see in Atlantic?
Fire Dartfish, Nemateleotris magnifica:

Gudge -

Great photos!!! Thank you for posting them.

Excellent set of shots, Gudge! Like them all very much. Keep them coming! :wink:

Ed.

great photos! plus a macro shot with a story to tell. did the lizardfish get to eat the puffer or did it manage to get away? i mean, did puffing-up make it too big to be swallowed?

great photos! plus a macro shot with a story to tell. did the lizardfish get to eat the puffer or did it manage to get away? i mean, did puffing-up make it too big to be swallowed?
It got away once while I was taking photos but was quickly grabbed again. I didn't stick around long enough to see how it ended up. Talking to the other divers on the boat after the dive they said that they had seen a small puffed up puffer with a deformed tail swimming around towards the end of the dive, so I like to think he did get away in the end.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom