Mk17/g250v

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vixtor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello All,

I just want to tell you that I am glad I have discovered your forum. I am diving since 1997, but until now I have used only rented equipment (mostly Mares, Seemann and Coltri, so not really top products) - but that's the situation here, near the Black Sea :)

Anyway, this year I have decided to start buying my own equipment. The first purchase was a Seaquest Pro QD with I3, which despite some not so good opinions here made me very happy - really a nice BCD if you ignore the way it is advertised by Aqualung and use it properly, but this is not about it here.

Today I have just ordered my regulator, after studying the forums. Before I was thinking about MK25/S600, but after reading about freezing issues (and considering that the Black Sea is cold - 4-8 degrees C at depth, even in summer), i switched my thoughts towards the MK17. Also, from your site I read great things about the G250V, so I changed the S600 into the G250V.

I will let you know how it feels as soon as I will try it (this year if there will be any week-end without storms at sea, or next year otherwise). But I think I will be very tempted to search at least a pool if the sea will be stormy.

By the way, here in Romania, the difference between Mk17/S600 and MK17/G250V was exactly 4 EUROs.

Now is time to tell me what a bad decision I took and that I should have ordered the MK25/S600 :wink: just kidding, I am sure after reading so many threads that MK17/G250V will make me happier.

every one i have talked with about the Mk17/g250vin says it is going to be a great reg , Good Choice!

I have a Mk11/R295 whicth is also a good cold water reg,but me thinks i may have to let mother have it and move on up to that Mk17/g250Vin

You've definitely made the right decision going with the MK17 and I'm sure you'll be happy. I have the MK16/550, been using it for 3 years now and love it so much. If I have to buy another reg, it'll definitely be the MK17/G250V.

My Mk17/G250V just arrived tonight at the LDS (and two hours later at my home :D ). I have tested it in the shop, and it breathes great. I felt no difference between it and a S600 (although there should be one theoretically). On the other side, compared to the octopus (a R295), the difference is huge.

The build feels solid. The purge button seems to be also metalic (not only the chamber), as it is also the flow adjustment button. I also like the fact that the angle between the LP ports is sharp (the main and the octopus are almos parallel I would say - i think there are 10-15 degrees between them).

I am not sure when I'll have the opportunity to test it in water (as the winter just arrived with under zero temperatures here), but I will let you know by then.

I have a question for you: the LDS connected the BCD hose to the high flow LP port (it was the best angled port for it). Was this a good idea, or it should be rather connected to a normal LP port instead?

I have a question for you: the LDS connected the BCD hose to the high flow LP port (it was the best angled port for it). Was this a good idea, or it should be rather connected to a normal LP port instead?

Ideally your primary 2nd goes to that port. I doubt it will make any significant difference; certainly it won't hurt your BC, as the IP is identical in all the ports. I would be very surprised if you could tell any difference in the way your reg breathes.

BTW, there should not be a "huge" difference in the breathability with the R295 octo. It sounds like that 2nd is not tuned well to the first stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom