Trigger problem with mako

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boomer7

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I finally got my new (used) mako/Voyager in the water a couple weeks ago. The only problem I had was sometimes when I hit the trigger nothing happened. This happened with both triggers. Any ideas what the problem could be? Should I try to fix myself or send it out to get serviced?

Thanks
Brian

You can inspect the wheels, cables and magnets for proper movement yourself. Takes removing about 5 screws per side. If all the bits move ok and turn the scooter on and off ok (do not run out of water for more than a second or 2), then the problem is with the reed switches (both seems unlikely) or you have a screwed up relay (if neither side turns it on this is more likely)

Due to the semi-sealed motor compartment on the Mako, I'd send it out for a new relay and re-assembly with pressure testing if its not a stuck cable/wheel.

I also had trigger problems with my Mako this past weekend. Do you have a trigger override? And if so does it work? Mine only has one handle and trigger. My override would work. So What I did was removed the 3 screws in the handle, and opened it up. When I pulled on the cable the motor would run. I could not see an easy way to adjust the cable at this end.
So I removed the screws holding the cover at the override trigger. On my scooter everything here look ok, but just by accident I moved the magnate, the motor would run. My fix was then to just move the magnate about 1/2 inch or so and now it works fine. Will try the scooter again, and if that is the fix, I might put a spot of glue on the magnate.
Good Luck, Al

I removed the cables and wheels and replaced many of the plastic parts with stainless pins. The cable may be off the wheel or it may be jamming from grit. Clean it resist putting oil etc on the parts as it will only make them fall apart into little bitty pieces. I doubt your relay or reed switch is bad. I have been inside these several times now and rebuilt numerous versions. Another possibility is that the trigger itself is rubbing the handle housing and jamming or the plastic pin is broken. Replace with stainless and then grind with a Dremal some clearence. If replacing the pin you will need to through drill at a size for a slight press fit.

N

Andrew has a good set of pics/decription of the Mako. Including the trigger system, which is kinda finicky.
Mako

They might help you diagnose the issue.

Anyone know how to move a magnet on the trigger cable.The magnet is too far to the left won;t shut off?
Thanks,Jerry

Hi,
getting a Oceanic replacement cable from Curt at DPV.
The other one had magnet in wrong place.
Jerry

Or the reeds are out of place. Oceanic had a couple of versions of the cable over the years. The last ones have a plastic under the end of the magnets that stop forward / backward travel of the magnet, about 1/8 of an inch

I prefure the electronic magnetic reeds used on the last version of the DIVERITE ARROW on the circuit board. they were fault proof to bad Farallon went poof who made them for Diverite.

Back
Top Bottom