Suunto Cobra vs. Oceanic Data Max Plus Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dougdrury

Registered
Reaction score
Computer Question
I am going to purchase my first dive computer. I would like an air integrated computer. I am Advanced Open Water and Nitrox Certified. I am leaning towards Suunto. Any suggestions? I will probly not purchase an RF model yet...this is my first computer... thanks for any input. :confused:

If you like Suunto's display and presentation of information (I do) you'll like the Cobra.

I think the more liberal computers made by Pelagic (Oceanic, Aeris,Sherwood) are a better bet. You can always use the graphic display to back off. Look for a thread in Dr. Deco about differences in NDL Limits (beter called no stop limits) on various computers.

Just remember, a computer is no substitute for your brain. Not really into AI myself, an analog SPG is too easy to read and costs less.

I have a Suunto Cobra, Oceanic Data Trans Plus, and an OMS VR3. The Cobra was my first dive computer. For recreational (as opposed to technical) dives, I prefer to use the Cobra; it is easy to use, it is on a hose, so I don't have to wear it on my wrist, and it tracks air consumption for the dive.

I love my cobra. Its great for "recreational" diving... isn't all non-commercial diving really recreational... why do it if it isn't recreational. Anyway, it is a great package and along with being easy to read, its still very small. You can get the sk7 compass from leisure pro for $50 and it mounts directly on the console without making it too bulky The sk7 can be tilted up to like 30 degrees and still rotate freely. I like the cobra for its conservativeness because its a safety factor and with single tanks, you'll run out of air before you'll hit a NDL most likely anyway. You can't go wrong with a suunto.

When I refered to "recreational" diving, I meant non-gas switching and no-decompression diving. I don't use the Cobra for technical diving, as I prefer the VR3's capability to switch gasses for deco stops on decompression dives.

I have just purchased a Sunnto Vyper console. I did extensive research on the internet, magazine reviews, and scuba forums before purchasing. I found too much data that showed Oceanic computers were too liberal for my comfort level.

One article in Rodale's showed Oceanic with 80 no-deco minutes remaining while others such as Suunto showed less than 20 no-deco minutes. I could have bought a 2002 air-integrated Data Pro Plus for the same price as the Suunto Vyper, but I went with my gut feeling about safety and DCS and bought the Vyper.

Something to think about also is training. My wife and son both already had Suuntos so there would be no difference in our computer operations. We can switch gear without any problems.

Get the Sunnto Cobra. The features are great and it is easy to use. You don't need a college degree to run it.

The only thing Datamax has on Cobra is the bigger display. Get the Cobra unless you are near blind.

Aaron

I bought the Cobra and went diving in Monterey last weekend. I did 4 dives. Love the computer. PC software is easy to use and work with. My buddy got one too and we both really like them. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Doug:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom