Dive Sites Within 2 Hrs of Chicago

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

popcorn

Registered
Reaction score
We (my wife and I) are looking for dive sites within a two hour drive of Chicago. We are freshly certified and looking to build our skills and confidence by diving quarries, lakes, etc. Places with no or low current to start then possibly a Lake Michigan dive. Any info or links or site addresses would be appreciated.

Haig Quarry is just south of the Chicago and Pearl Lake is east. Both I believe within 2 hrs but I'm not sure (I don't live in Chicago). Good luck and good diving.

Check out http://www.haighquarry.com
It's 60 miles south of Chicago.
I was there two weeks ago. Everyone in the group was happy with the diving. Really pretty good for a quarry.
We will definatly go back!
:sunny:

I had a very bad experience with the owner and staff at haig quarry, they were very rude to myself,my son (16 years old) and a fellow scubaboard member. We were told straight out and i quote word for word she does not like dogs or kids on her property. I would not recomend this place to anybody.

I had a very bad experience with the owner and staff at haig quarry, they were very rude to myself,my son (16 years old) and a fellow scubaboard member. We were told straight out and i quote word for word she does not like dogs or kids on her property. I would not recomend this place to anybody.

It is always good to find out the policies of a place before you go there. They do have a no dog policy. I think that's a good policy myself. The only dogs allowed are the two that belong to the owners, and they are very popular with the divers there. As far as kids go, I dive with a 13 year old often and have been treated very well. I've seen many kids there, but they were diving. They do charge for non-divers. I don't know the details of your experience, but Haigh is a favorite dive location. The owners have worked hard to make it a safe and pleasent place to spend the day. Just follow the few simple rules and you will have no problem there.

I call the Haigh my home dive site, and have never had a bad time there.
I was there last week, and the only other people were a high school dive class. The kids looked to be having a good time there.

Jim Breslin

So....how did this discussion come about?

We (my wife and I) are looking for dive sites within a two hour drive of Chicago. We are freshly certified and looking to build our skills and confidence by diving quarries, lakes, etc. Places with no or low current to start then possibly a Lake Michigan dive. Any info or links or site addresses would be appreciated.

Haigh Quarry in Kankakee IL. and Pearl Lake in South Beloit IL. are both within 2 hours of Chicago. Both are good dive sites although I prefer Haigh Quarry. Both have Web Sites. Haigh Quarry.com and Pearl Lake.com. Pearl Lake has easier dive access (all shore), Haigh Quarry has a shore entry area, most entries are from the floating docks. Both have interesting things sunk in them for you to interact with. Haigh Quarry has on site air fills and equipment rentals/sales. Pearl Lake has on site air fills. The closest Dive Shop to Pearl Lake is Loves Park Scuba in Loves Park Ill. This is about 5-6 miles south of Pearl Lake. You will have a great time at either location but Haigh Quarry will be little less hassle IMHO.

I am very sorry to hear that you had a bad time at Haigh Quarry. I have been there several times with the Boy Scout Troop that I am involved with and we have always been treated very well. I hope you give it another try as it is truly a great place to get wet.

Back
Top Bottom